hf1

Play

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Play

Postby ems101 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:15 am

This is more toddler and young child, than toddler and baby!

I watched a really interesting presentation about therapeutic intervention through observation. This is really the basic of psychoanalytic work and something is do with my patients every day, but the presentation was more for early intervention prior to/prevention of more serious issues.

It was basically taking the time to turn off electronic toys and gadgets and to provide toys for the imagination like animals and cars and the really watch your child play and think about the communications that they are making to you or about they thoughts of the world.

We don't have many electronic toys and we have rules around the tele but honestly I don't sit and watch them play much. There is always so much to do.

So my question is, do you?

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Play

Postby autumnalgirl » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:34 pm

Not all the time, but yes. Obviously in the day when working most of my time is child focused. I let myself have a couple of minutes screen time when I have a drink for a bit of adult interaction!
However, although I'm down on their level most of the time I don't play with them all the time as I don't believe that encourages initiative, independence or creativity. By watching them I can join in when needed, or to help develop their skills.
As for the big ones they don't watch the tv Monday to Friday and only get ten (ish) minutes tablet time when all homework tasks are completed.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:42 pm

Yeah this was definitely watching them play or being totally child led.

I think I need to do it more!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:51 pm

I'm pretty bad actually and don't tend to watch that much, I sit for a break if he actually plays (although I guess I do probably watch and listen to what he is doing). I don't like getting down on the floor and playing either :oops: :oops: We also watch too much TV and have far too much screen time :oops: :oops: Sounds like I'm a terrible mother :lookround: :oops: :giggle:

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:05 pm

clothmama wrote:I'm pretty bad actually and don't tend to watch that much, I sit for a break if he actually plays (although I guess I do probably watch and listen to what he is doing). I don't like getting down on the floor and playing either :oops: :oops: We also watch too much TV and have far too much screen time :oops: :oops: Sounds like I'm a terrible mother :lookround: :oops: :giggle:

I guess the extra screen time is for the older kids? It's much harder to regulate it for that age.

Terrible mother... :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
ambpick
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ambpick » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:57 am

Hello! That's how it was with my older son, I spent practically all my time with him until I realized that I didn't have to watch him all the time, especially if he was in the same room with me. I keep an eye on his toys si there are no small objects. Now I work remotely and watch the kids. It's easier already.

Return to Baby and Toddler