hf1

dropping lunchtime sleep

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

dropping lunchtime sleep

Postby Rae » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:38 pm

I was kind of wondering if this dropping lunchtime sleep was a phase or something that we will have to get use to. Up until recently Kayleigh was doing a 60 - 90 minute sleep in the middle of the day. Occasionally she would go a day without a sleep, but the last 3 days running she hasn't slept at lunchtime. Now I know we have just had all the excitement of friends and the new toys of Christmas, but I was wondering if it is normal to go from such a long sleep to none, or if other LO's reduced their nap time (by half or more) before giving them up.

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: dropping lunchtime sleep

Postby mabo » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:12 am

I'm pretty sure Joshua suddenly went a couple of days without and then he'd have one again one day, then again a couple of days without etc.
If she starts getting really tired in the evenings or falling asleep in the late afternoon I'd suggest trying to get her to nap maybe every other day and see if she'll do that. However the other thing I did notice is that he would sleep in a bit later in the mornings so I think that is where he would catch up on 'lost' sleep during the day.
Right now Joshua doesnt nap anymore but will have a massive catch-up - usually on a weekend day - after 2 weeks or so.

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:17 am

Hannah dropped hers suddenly as well and didn't go to bed any earlier either. Fingers crossed it is just a phase and she goes back to napping once everything settles .

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:43 pm

Connor also dropped his suddenly. For a while I was able to get him to nap every two or three days but it became too much of a battle so he doesn't have one now. He isn't really ready to do without totally though, so sometimes falls asleep in the car if we're out. And a few days ago he fell asleep on the sofa, for the first time since being a baby.

There was a bit of a nasty phase when he was falling asleep in the buggy or car late in the afternoon any time we were out. Or if we were at home he'd be too tired to eat tea. But he holds it together alot better now. Most of the time! He was never good at settling himself though, so just doesn't want to nap. Whereas a couple of friends' toddlers don't have regular naps but just take themselves up to bed when they feel tired.

I'd see how she is once the excitement of Christmas passes, and then perhaps try every other day and see how well she manages on that.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:52 pm

We went gradually to dropping the nap - at first she refused to go to bed but would fall asleep in the car or in the pushchair, then she would go for a few days without a nap and would seem to have a catch up nap every few days and now she never sleeps in the day, even in the car, unless she has got up really early for some reason or had a particularly disturbed night.

I would say she stopped napping completely a couple of months ago so almost 2.5 but it was a gradual process from 2years. It is a sad sad day when you no longer have any peace in the day - although I do make Charlotte sit on the sofa for say 30 minutes after lunch to wind down a bit and rest but I can only do that by putting on the tv (at the moment it is Finding Nemo that is the fave :roll: ) Otherwise she is constantly on the go from the moment she gets up until the moment she falls asleep! Oh to have the energy of a toddler :hohoho:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:27 am

I remember making Josh still have 'quiet time' in his room (ummm actually still do on days where my sanity needs it - he just plays ds etc!!) for a while after nap dropping, both my kids have been good sleepers - Louis still naps in the day now for up to 2 hours (normally 60-90 mins), it is light so early here though that they are up so early so it may change come winter!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:28 pm

Isabelle was like Connor and I'm afraid the excitement of Christmas seems to have been her trigger to drop her naps... She's still quite tired after lunch but getting her to sit down infront of jungle-book or post-man pat seems to work at the moment...

She was borderline for napping at it was a struggle to get her to nap before she got ill before Christmas but now she just won't nap at all but is starting to cope better without a nap (and without the struggle with her to have one!!) and is likewise better at eating her tea...

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:00 pm

We are in a funny phase now with naps. I think Zach doesn't need his 2 hours plus 11 hours at night BUT he doesn't have the staying power to go from morning to night and I don't want him going to bed at 6-6.30 because we wouldn't see him after work :? I just do what we've always done and see how Zach reacts to it so he goes to bed after his dinner and usually falls asleep then we do bedtime and he's generally in bed for 8ish.

He sometimes chatters away to himself or his teddies for a while but we don't have any crying so I figure that its OK to do what we're doing for now but I think he might start to drop them properly soon we'll see. Its quite confusing!!!

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:33 pm

Evie has decided napping isnt a good idea - with the boys and dh off over the Christmas holidays there was just too much going on and she didnt want to miss it, so I hoped with things back to normal this week she would go back to naps but no such luck. She is exhausted by 7pm now whereas her bedtime before was more like 8 - 8.30, so she is still getting a good 12-13 hours sleep overnight, but Im not getting that hours breather during the day :oops:

DS1 stopped napping before he was a year old :shock: and is still a terrible sleeper who doesnt need much, whereas ds2 still napped when he came home from playgroup so was about 3 and a half before he gave them up.

Sadie xx

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler