hf1

Coming down with something?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Coming down with something?

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:47 am

Isabelle has been having tantrums - the hysterical screaming type - over anything and nothing today! Honestly it's really not like her, she's really upset merely over something she insists is 'mummy's bag' when I say it's Isabelle's and similar things...

We've got her to calm down but I can't seem to find out what's wrong with her, she insists nothing hurts... and no temperature, bit of a snuffly nose but nothing more!

I've got her to calm down and put the jungle book on for her :)

She was very quiet at nursery yesterday... Didn't want to go to bed last night and woke up in the middle of the night screaming the place down and seemingly couldn't be comforted altho' I don't think it was a night terror as she knew she was there - just didn't want to be cuddled calm :roll:

I think it's partly she's still overtired and she just won't nap during the day :? (altho she did nap for an hour at nursery yesterday which probably contributed to the 9.30 bedtime whic his over 2hrs late!) but I don't know how to get her to catch up on her sleep!

Diet shouldn't be an issue as it's healthy (not low fat though) - nothing with additives in, no added sugar, sweets or chocolate (I do sound like a meanie!)...

We don't have the telly on all day - tv is distinctly rationed :)

She can't seem to concentrate on a toy at home for more than 3mins at a time, even if we're playing with her - I do think there's a certain issue of boredom at home as she's perfectly fine concentrating on stuff at nursery from what they tell me...

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Coming down with something?

Postby jules070603 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:07 pm

How is she today Steph?

Zach behaves like this sometimes when he is getting a cold but other times there doesn;t seem to be any reason for it. :babyrolleyes:

My avatar
nic1
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby nic1 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:08 pm

No words of advice hun, hope it's just a phase. Like you say maybe she's bored but you seem to do alot with her and if telly is limited i am sure there's no issues there. Maybe it was a night terror - hope things improve soon though hun as it is vry trying without adding you being :pregnant: into the equation too. >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:12 pm

Not great today either... Somewhat better but not great...

We really worked hard today to try and be consistent and ignore the shouting and negative attention seeking behaviour etc

She spent a lot of time outdoors though which helped but I can't stand for ages now as it's too tiring, and my feet hurt so I can't spend ages outside with her...

Sorry I'm not replying properly I'm exhausted :oops:

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:18 pm

Perhaps she is out of routine with the Christmas holidays and needs a few days back in her routine to settle her down? Some children cant cope very well with their routine being mixed up, and I suppose with you being off for Christmas, then visiting your parents, Santa coming, and going back to nursery just the one day is definately her routine being mixed up :?

Or just being you, dh and her its not the same stimulation that she gets at nursery, or perhaps because its just the 3 of you she gets more one on one attention at home than at nursery so too much going on? I think the 'terrible 2s' is a phase that goes from 18 months to about 40 months, where they are learning so so much and sometimes it all gets too much for them.

She does sound like a very intelligent little girl Steph, who is going through a stage of just needing lots and lots of attention from you both - exhausting esp with you being :pregnant: >:D<

Sadie xx

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:38 pm

>:D< >:D< Steph

Like Sadie said it could just be that she is our of her normal rountine, I remember when Anna dropped her afternoon nap, she never had tantrums but it was very trying at times. Our kids are all out of routine at the moment as well hence the early to bed tonight. Our eldest finds it hard to concentrate and in our experience it can be pretty hard to keep an intelligant child occupied for long (which she sounds like she is), we have our eldest on eyeq supplements (the fish oils) and find this really help concentration. I think all kids go through this at some point but it is hard at the best of times without being :pregnant: . Sorry I can't offer any advice other than to be assured you are doing everthing right and sound like a brilliant Mum. xx

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:47 pm

Connor has days like this too, it's usually when he's tired as really could do with afternoon naps sometimes but just won't have them. But on some occasions I think it's just because he's two and a half, and there's no other reason for it! I actually wonder sometimes if he's on the autistic spectrum, just because so many things have to be 'just so' and a tantrum will ensue if things are a little bit out of order. So I'm actually pleased in a warped way that similar behaviour exists elsewhere. Not 'pleased' but you know what I mean, I hope.

On Thursday (I think) our day started with a 25min screaming fit because he said he didn't want a wee so dh went to the loo, Connor then said he wanted a wee but he wanted to go first. We told him he couldn't go first because dh had already been, and the screaming commenced. Simply because he wanted to go first even though initially he didn't want to go at all :roll: . He then was shouting at us to come upstairs and carry him down - we'd left him lying on the landing, screaming - which we ignored. I told him I'd come up when he calmed down, but refused to carry him. Cue another five or ten mins of temper. In the end I just took his hand and half-dragged him, making him walk down himself as he both tried to be picked up and to sit down all at the same time! But as soon as there was a distraction, daddy or toys or tv or whatever it was, he was fine.

I can't offer any advice, as I don't know how to deal with it either. We tend to try to avoid them by eg asking if he wants to go up the stairs first - he usually does but not always, but if you guess wrong it can set him off. I'm not sure if that's the right way to do it, as I worry he'll get used to things always being as he wants them, but for the time being it makes life easier to do what we can to reduce the trauma.

Sorry for such a mammoth post, which is pretty much all about me, but hopefully it helps knowing you're not alone, even if I can't make any useful suggestions >:D< >:D< Hopefully it's just a shortlived phase for us both,

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Thankyou Moderators :)

Postby Allie » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:05 pm

Not much to add except to agree that it could be that's she's out of her routine. I know that Harriet has certainly had more tantrums and bad behaviour during these holidays and i'm certainly hoping that being back at nursery and me and dh being back at work will help. Massive >:D< >:D< as toddler tantrums can be extremely tiring let alone when your :pregnant: . Fc Isabelle will be ok in a few days, once life is back to normal.

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:35 pm

masses of >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< hun sounds exhausting. i agree that it could be the change of routine over christmas period and fc that she will improve now we have a 'normal' week again.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler