hf1

Demanding Things

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Demanding Things

Postby jules070603 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:14 pm

Zach seems to have realised that he can ask for things and get them. Fine BUT this is driving us mad with TV programmes. Particularly Polar Express and Takeshi's Castle.

Is this another phase? Someone tell me he'll grow out of it as its VERY grating!!!!

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Demanding Things

Postby eviesmummy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:20 pm

Yep another phase where he is learning his boundaries - providing you dont automatically give in, and teach him to ask nicely and say thank you he will learn not to 'demand' :mrgreen:

(Oh, just read that back, sound like Supernanny :oops: )

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:30 pm

eviesmummy wrote:Yep another phase where he is learning his boundaries - providing you dont automatically give in, and teach him to ask nicely and say thank you he will learn not to 'demand' :mrgreen:

(Oh, just read that back, sound like Supernanny :oops: )

PMSL. Thanks. Patience required then!!!

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:01 pm

eviesmummy wrote:teach him to ask nicely and say thank you he will learn not to 'demand' :mrgreen:

Oh Connor's got the asking nicely bit "Mummy please may I ...", not so good when mummy says no though!

Jules I sympathise. It's really difficult not giving in every time though isn't it, it's just so much easier than coping with tears and tantrums!

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:28 pm

Thats the other thing. Once he's DEMANDED something he tries the softly approach, being all cute and nice right up to your face :roll:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:34 pm

jules070603 wrote:Thats the other thing. Once he's DEMANDED something he tries the softly approach, being all cute and nice right up to your face :roll:

Ooooooooooooooh yes Isabelle is doing lots of this...
I WANT or
I'd like

No hint of please (which I'm currently insisiting on!) until I tell her that's not how we ask for things - and then she often says 'please mummy can I have' and gets very annoyed when I tell her that's a lovely way to ask for things but the answer is still NO! :lol:

I too hope it's a phase! I'm not entirely sure it is though - at least not a short lived one... Just something we have to live with for now... I'm forever getting cries for BOB THE BUILDER or CEEBIECEEBIES (cbeebies) etc when it's not TV time... I don't mind her choosing which tv she watches when we have TV but she asks for things she knows I won't say yes to just because she's bored... :roll:

Glad we're not the only ones :)

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:02 pm

hate to tell you this Jules (and Steph), Lucas is still in this particular phase :roll: he started befpre he turned 3 and he still does it now at 3 1/2 :roll:

He asks all nice and polite and is fine if I say yes, if I say no he starts with the all cute and up in my face huging and stroking my cheeks and please please please,, if I continue to say no the whinging and whining starts until he eventuall starts to get the huff..

Consistancy is the key, TBH I have started to put him on the naughty mat now as soon as the whinging bit starts (I don;t mind the cute and cuddly part :wink: )

jan x

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:13 am

HA!! Wait til they are still doing it at 5!

Hannah does it regularly, not so much the demanding anymore but the sickly sweet "mummy I love you" followed closely by "could I please have............." Still get the occassional tanty because I said no to something too :roll:

Return to Baby and Toddler