hf1

Hearing test - what to expect?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Hearing test - what to expect?

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:59 am

Isabelle has been referred to ent for a hearing test and timpanic whatsit (erm can't remember what he called it) as I'm a little concerned about her speech and the Dr agreed - he said she has adenoids at the back of her nose too which is why she snores and breathes heavily and seems to have a permenant cold but she's also got fluid behind one of her ear-drums... (altho' this could be related to her current cold)
All of this could be contributing to the slightly nasal speech and she doesn't always hear us (not just talking normal disobedient toddler here!)...

Anyway question is what to expect?

I'm sure it'll be a good few months before we get the appointment through...

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Hearing test - what to expect?

Postby Annette » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:03 pm

Is it like what they have as a baby? where they stick the thing in their ear and it all comes up on the computer? or is it different when they get older?

Would be nice if you find that some of the problems you have had with behaviour is down to her hearing - isn't this what happened to Beck, I think that resulted in gromits for Hannah?

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:05 pm

harry had to have a hearing test to see if that was a cause of his behaviour (it wasn't) so I''ll ask dh what they did when he gets home.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:17 pm

Can't offer any help but hope she gets on ok. My friends DS had the same, constant cold, very nasal but his speech is dredful, no-one know what he is saying and he is at school, wee lamb he is such a sweet wee boy. He had his adenoids out (which were massive) and grommits fitted last year and it has made a difference, I spend a lot of time with them so I can notice the difference. I will ask her what the hearing test was like and let you know.

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:58 pm

She sounds to have exactly the same symptoms as Sophie, doc said she had mild glue ear but never mentioned adenoids ( she rattles the house at night with her snoring!) She was 4 possibly 5 when we went for a hearing test and it was done in a quiet room, she had to wear headphones and clap her hands when she heard a noise, the sound frequencies and volume are changed to test what they can and can't hear. Sophie did pass but can't pass if she has a cold but they seem reluctant to do anything about it :roll:

Wish Isabelle luck, hope it all goes ok >:D<

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 pm

Taneli had one at a similar age.
iit was 2 part, first one was with big ear phones and a button, but then they moved onto one where they sat him on a special chair with stuff all around him, some stuff moved, some had lights and other bits had noises and they watched t see when he turned which way. lots of bleeps at different pitches and volumes.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:15 pm

i think i had a similar problem as a child, and had hearing tests every year cos it never seemed to improve! :roll: i had to sit in a litte room with a window between me and the doc (so i couldnt hear any noise from out there) and wear huge headphones. the doc would play lots of little beeps at different pitches and frequencies, and id have to bang the table with a wooden spoon when i heard a noise. it would be recorded on a sheet what id heard and what i didnt. very simple, no pain involved and relatively quick.

i was always in the ENT dept, and had slightly nasal speech as well, (i think i still do but turned down the painful op they offered, my voice isnt that bad!) and also as air comes down my nose it decreases the volume of my voice. my hearing still isnt the best, and i still go to speech therapy every once in a while but i think alot of that was contributed to a cleft lip and palate i had as a baby, and so dont worry that Isabelle will be the same! its just that ear, nose and throat probs tend to be related to each other (when you get a cold your nose blocks up, your throat gets sore and your hearing seems to disappear!)

adenoids can also contribute to ENT probs; DP's are apparently too big and they get infected often. mine are too small and the soft palate doesnt quite fit properly over them when i talk (resulting in air coming down my nose and a quiet voice) or sneeze (which are so huge i worry my eyeballs might pop out sometimes!!)

im not sure if any of my ramblings relate to Isabelle, but most problems like this aren't overly serious, and are usually simple to treat, doctors just like to keep an eye on them. many kids have ENT problems and are often grown out of by adulthood. :D

>:D< >:D< >:D<

Gayle xx

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:09 pm

In Primary 1 our boys have had the hearing tests with the huge headphones and when they heard a noise they smacked the table in front of them - not sure if Isabelle would be too young for it though :?

Anyway, just wanted to add that DS has always had a very blocked nose, that runs constantly (I know that doesnt make sense). Our gp has said its a very common problem with children with allergies, asthma, eczema and asked about his hearing which has always been fine - apparently in some children it can cause nflamation issues with ears which can affect speech. So he has been prescribed an anti-inflamatory nasal spray that he uses every morning and it has stopped the running nose, he is still quite 'nasal' and cant breath right through his nose so going back at the end of this month about that. But just a thought Isabelles might be something similar (Maybe not, just another suggestion).

Sadie xx

Return to Baby and Toddler