hf1

Weight loss

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Weight loss

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:32 am

:hug: I am sure all will be fine. I remember being told their weight is supposed to stop being piled on and they need to try and maintain it at some point around then.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:21 pm

Just dug out Gracies red book and in 6 weeks she has gone from 18lbs 4oz to 16lbs 10oz which I think is a pretty big weight loss, I have to monitor it for a couple of weeks and if it continues to fall or doesn't improve she will be sent for testing. I know she hasn't been well but she hasn't been ill for 6 weeks and before this bout of sickness she had been eating really well, I'm wondering if she has an intolerance to something or if her body is having problems absorbing nutrients!!!!!

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:04 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug:
I'm sure Gracie will put some weight back on when she starts to feel better and eat properly. Have you seen the doctor recently? I'd definitely mention it as that is a pretty big loss. You mentioned that Gracie is on soya milk or soya formula - have you checked the fat content? It may be that that is lower fat that normal formula. When Jasmine's ill I try to compensate by making sure she has lots of cheese chunks and yogurts etc. to make sure she's getting plenty of fat and protein. Gracie may be OK with yogurts as they're easier to digest than milk, especially sheep's milk yoghurt.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:07 pm

Yeah I try to bump up her diet as well, she is ok with fromage frais but not so great with cheese. I am going to ask for a referal though just to be safe and if it looks like an appointment might take ages I can get my brother-in=law to arrange it, he is a surgeon (plastic (.)(.) :lol: ) so has friends in every medical field which is handy. For now she is on plain old baby rice until she settles down then will start introducing more foods. x

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:34 pm

Kirstyh wrote:(plastic (.)(.) :lol: )

:hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:

I hope Gracie picks up soon, it is distressing when they're not on form!

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:30 pm

hopefully when she's kicked this bug she will pile it on, I'm dreading taking Summer to be weighed, not really sure why though she just still seems so teeny!

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:38 pm

flutterby wrote:hopefully when she's kicked this bug she will pile it on, I'm dreading taking Summer to be weighed, not really sure why though she just still seems so teeny!

It's actually really emotional isn't it - I had a really hard time seeing Jasmine going from the 95th to 40th centile during the first 3 months whcih wasn't helped by a HV who (wrongly) told me my milk had dried up without even asking me whether I had milk left after feeds. She soon put more weight on, and I'm sure Gracie and Summer will too.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:43 pm

It's just soo new to us, Jak is massive, went from the 75th centile at birth and just kept climbing the chart till he came off the top, Summer however, was born on the 50th and gradually made her way down to the second, if she drops any more she'll be in the red, thats probably moore why im worried

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:43 pm

We musn't loose sight of the fact that these charts are only an average and ALL babies are different, we are the ones that know our babies the best. Even through all Gracies weight loss she has been happy and healthy (apart from this bug that is). I am very fortunate that our HV is wonderful, she was the one who called me to see how Gracie was doing and when I explained about her not eating and drinking she called down to our GP and got us in straight away and then our GP called the hospital while we were there. Our weigh day is Thursday afternoon and is really awkward for me to get down to the surgery as it is at school coming out time so she has said to pop in on Thurs mornings after playgroup. x

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler