hf1

Feeling really low today :(

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Feeling really low today :(

Postby happytails » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:53 pm

I have the most gorgeous generally well behaved daughter who is ten days old yet i am feeling really low and upset today. DP returns to work tomorrow and im not sure how i will cope at home on my own without him. Doesnt help that today he has seemed really distant from me and i could really do with some support and extra attention. I have cried 3 times today generally over nothing but Amber wouldnt settle for anything earlier and i just cried as id tried everything.

Please tell me this is just common baby blues and nothing more. I suffer SAD disorder in winter so i have been paranoid of getting PND but no one else seems too concerned, hoping its just a low day and ill be back on track tomorrow x

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Feeling really low today :(

Postby tanya » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:57 pm

:hug: :hug: I think it's baby blues - I felt the same when my DH went back to work, but you can do it, you'll see. It's all so overwhelming when they are tiny and new, but very soon, you'll be soooo in tune with her that you'll know just what she needs. Give yourself some time to get to know her properly :)

Do you have any family or close friends near who could either come visit you or you could go to visit? If not, try to get out of the house on a regular basis, at least every other day if you can manage it. It'll break up your day and improve your spirits.

And remember. we're here if you need to offload about anything. We've all been there, so we understand. :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:00 pm

Massive hugs - yes it really is NORMAL to feel like this... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Especially if you feel lacking in support and that people aren't concerned...

DH might be feeling distant because he doesn't want to go back to work and leave you to it?

Make sure you get out of the house tomorrow as that's REALLY important...

Whereabouts in the country are you - is there anyone you could see tomorrow?

More massive hugs :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:04 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug:
I felt the same for the first few weeks due to sleep deprivation. It's normal and WILL get better soon.

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:06 pm

Its really quite normal to get tearfull and wonder how your going to cope. :hug:
Its daunting to know your going to be left alone to look after such a wonderful thing that depends on only you. Its fine you wil know what to do. were all hetre if you have any questions.

I thnk men don't realise how much support we need at times. You need to talk to him and tell him you might find he had no idea how you were feeling,. We presume sometimes they know what were thinking. :giggle: as the others have sid your DH might not want to go back to work either.

:hug: Your doing a great job!

If you feel your getting too low make sure you tell your HV as hiding it won't help.
I'm sure what you describe is just baby blues and things will get better.

Enjoy the early days hun. :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:07 pm

find a reason tho leave the house everyday...if you ahve close friends or family, organise people to come in to give you a hand and keep you company...keep talking to people...and if you dont have family who you can ask to pop in and give you a hand, consider finding a post natal doula to come in a for a couple of hours a few times a week...statistically women who have doulas are less likely to suffer from pnd even if they are prone to it
(trust me...i'm a doula, and we are fab :D...and there are plenty of trainees who charge a very nominal fee or ones who just could bare to leave a new mum who needs a little help without it (i fall into the latter catagory :) )

congratulations of your lovely new bundle!!!!

(ps. when you start to feel like :x just pop baby in pram / sling and leave the house, everything is easier to deal with once you remove yourself from the situation)

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:19 pm

hope you are feeling a bit better :-?
it is perfectly normal- i think lack os sleep, hormones and the wonderful but enourmous shock of having a baby makes everybody overwhelmed at times- i know with no.1 i felt it was an achievement to have survived the day :shock: :shock: :giggle: but with sam i have been much more prepared for those down days knowing they are normal :-?

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:52 pm

Just want to send you some hugs :hug: :hug: :hug:

I cried every day for about 6 weeks after Zach was born and I dreaded DH going back to work but I realise now that its all normal. Having a baby is such a huge lifestyle change, it hit me like a ton of bricks but eventually we got to know each other and then it was lovely.

Take up any offers of help you can get, try and get some fresh air but don't ask too much of yourself, stay in bed late if baby goes back to sleep, you'll find the lack of sleep becomes much easier to cope with in a few weeks (assuming you are up a lot at night).

Your DH may just be trying to hide his emotions about going back to work, he probably doesn't want to leave you but doesn't want you to know IYSWIM.

There is always someone on here to read your threads and send you some cyber hugs. :hug:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:54 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

It really is totally normal, I felt like this for about 3 weeks after both of mne were born on and off, then it just went, you'll be ok, I used to love it being just me and Jak when he was teeny!

I think I read you live with your parents, so your not so isolated, we were living with my mum when Jal was born which I found a great support for the first couple of weeks,

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

It gets easier

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler