hf1

Accidental co-sleeping

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Accidental co-sleeping

Postby Frances » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:53 pm

We appear to have accidentally established co-sleeping with Jasmine. She's been off-colour for a few weeks with a bad ear infection, then 4 teeth breaking through together, so has been very miserable in the night. We've found that the only thing that will calm her is bringing her into bed with us. Unfortunately even though all her teeth are through now she keeps waking up crying until we take her into bed with us. While I do love sharing with her, it's impractical as we both get up early for work and need some time to get ready without waking her, plus I really don't want her to get used to co-sleeping now as I know that it will be harder to break the pattern as she gets older. I've tried the shush pat method but it's not working. She invariably screams as soon as she's put down in her cot, or within a few minutes. Help!

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Accidental co-sleeping

Postby clairelana » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:56 pm

:hug: :hug:
I know this oh to well.
To be honest the only thing that fixed it was me working nights and being looked after by DH she knew I wasn't their to :bf: her and went to sleep in her cot with a bottle of expressed milk.

Luckily i manage to expreess quite a bit while i'm at work so we have a stock of milk for bottles in the freezer.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Hope its sorted soon.

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Thankyou Moderators :)

Postby Allie » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:57 pm

We went through this too Frances and the only thing that worked for us was to keep settling Harriet back into her own bed and leaving the room. She would cry for a bit and then we would go back and repeat this process until she finally went back to sleep. I won't pretend it was easy and we had a horrible couple of weeks of disturbed nights but it did work in the end but we had to be firm and not give in to exhaustion. Good luck :hug: :hug:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:28 pm

Agree with what allie said, thats exactly what we did with both Phebie and William

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:46 pm

We did that too, OH wouldn't let us cosleep with Summer after the awful time wr had with Jak!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:23 am

We have never done co-sleeping either but from what friends have said what the others have done works well, just a case of being patient and persevering (sp) , good luck, hope you get sorted soon

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby mabo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:26 am

Yup, I'm another one who will say that if you really want to stop it now you must prepare for a fair few nights being awake settling her back to sleep.
Anna went through a phase too where she'd wake up in the middle of the night and wouldnt go back to sleep in her own room - it wasnt helped by the fact that we'd recently moved and it was all still very new to all of us. It was just easier to take her in with us, than to nip it in the butt immediately.

I think it took about 3 weeks until she gave up. But I have to say that DH did most of the work, as if I went in she would just go mental if I left. He would just go in, lie her down and say: its bedtime go to sleep. He would repeat this until she would either stop getting up and go to sleep, or she would lie down as soon as she saw him. It wasnt pleasant as she associated him with not getting any 'affection' but she is sleeping through now :wine: And if she does wake up in the middle of the night, it just takes a cuddle from either me or DH and she'll settle again.

Just make a deal with DH what your approach will be and stick to it. If they realise they get more from one person than they will definitely play on that, and of course it doesnt matter much to them if they dont sleep much during the night as they will be allowed to have a nap during the day :roll: Anna soon learnt that if she got up in the middle of the night, it was only DH she would get.
:hug: :hug:

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:35 pm

although i did do some control crying with Taneli....i could have written your post myself about Boo!!!

ear infection, so he spent a few night in my bed (sleeping on my chest like a small baby!!!) and now just keeps wandering in and getting into bed with me...and while i know i should just pop him back in his own room and prepare for some shouting, after a week of this i am just so knackered i cant face the thought,
i need to knuckle down :-? :roll:

good luck to you!!!

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:58 pm

We had this too, but managed to break it just a couple of weeks ago. What worked for us was just leaving him to cry and scream. Going in and settling him again just made him worse, so we literally let him scream himself to sleep and then we had to lie him down as he would be kneeling from trying to wait for us to pick him up. Sounds so painful but a week into it he stays lying down and screams a teeny cry, but stops by the time we get down the stairs and is sound asleep.

I miss some of the cuddles in bed with him though and I so nearly got a sleeping baby out of his cot last night just so I could cuddle him in bed :shock:

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler