hf1

Naps at 18 months

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Naps at 18 months

Postby Mareth » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:19 pm

Just wondering how long your LO's nap for at 18 months.

Rhys gets up at about 7 or 7.30 then goes down for his nap at 1pm and sleeps wil 3 or sometimes 3.30, then up til bedtime at 8.

Is 2 to 2.5 hours too long for a nap?

It works for us and everyone's happy so I don't really know why I'm concerned. Just wondering moreso I suppose.

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Naps at 18 months

Postby clairelana » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:25 pm

Lana is 2 1/2 and still sleeps that long.
She usually goes for her nap after lunch and can have 3 hours, she goes to bed at 7.30.

x

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:26 pm

The standard guidance is that a child of 18 months needs about 11.25 hours at night and about 2.25 hours during the day so a total of 13.5 hours. I would say that Rhys looks like he is textbook :wink:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:31 pm

Katie's nap time varies. I usually put her to bed when we get back from taking Ryan to nursery at 1.00 ish. She's usually awake around 2.30/2.45 but other days she'll wake up earlier or sleep till it's time to go and pick the others up at 3.15. She's still asleep now so I've sent DH to go and get the others. If she sleeps for longer during the day she will go to sleep later that night. So I guess if you're happy with an 8.00 bedtime then let him sleep for as long as he wants in the afternoon but if you want him to go to bed any earlier then don't let him sleep for so long after lunch.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:36 pm

Thanks everyone, glad to know it's pretty normal. The 8pm bed time is good for us as DP only gets in from work at between 6.30-6.45 so any earlier in bed and he'd never get to see him.

My avatar
Marion
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Marion » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:18 pm

Can i join in? (i'm new here). Jasmin is 18 months, and also naps for 2.5 hours during the day, usually from 4pm-6.30pm. bedtime is around 10.30-11pm, and she wakes up for the day anywhere from 9.30-10.30am!
(bedtime used to be much earlier but she wanted lots of assistance to go to sleep. this way she is learning to go to sleep on her own.)

marion xx

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:24 pm

Marion, up until about 6 months we just followed Rhys' lead too. He napped in the living room in his bean bag, and then slept there at night too if he happened to go to sleep, until we went to bed, then he went into his moses basket/cot beside us.

But then he started staying awake for ages until he got really grumpy and then would eventually just fall asleep. It was just that there was too much going on for him to want to sleep, he was afraid he'd miss anything :lol: So at that point we started putting him down for a nap/bedtime and luckily it worked for us. He's such an easy going baby though, just takes everything in his stride. I'm sure he's easing us into this whole parenting lark and if we have another baby it'll be a little devil or something :hohoho:

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:37 pm

Just wanted to say that Zach was very similar to that until very recently when we have had to alter naptime as it was affecting bedtime. He will still sleep for over 2 hours in the day if left to his own devices but then is a devil to go to bed!!! Its quite nice for days like Monday when I went to bed too and we just let him stay up late. He slept for 2.5 hours :shock:

I think he just likes his bed as he never wants to get up from naps, he's like a teenager :hohoho:

My avatar
cherobanne
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby cherobanne » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:43 pm

At 18 months Matthew was only having one nap a day - for about 1 1/2 hours. He's always been an awful sleeper though - both naps and at night :roll: :(

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler