hf1

Airport restrictions

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Airport restrictions

Postby Frances » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:22 am

Anyone flown with a baby recently? I need to take a 250ml bottle of formula onboard as that's the only size available in Hipp Organic (the other ready mixed formulas aren't vegetarian) plus a sealed 160g jar of yogurt - am I likely to have them confiscated? Jasmine could have cows milk if necessary so I guess I could buy that at the other side of the gate if desperate. Don't think I'll be able to :bf: as I stopped giving her daytime feeds several months ago so won't have much milk at that time!

Any tips for keeping an almost 12 month old entertained? I'll take a couple of books and toys but not sure that'll keep her happy for 3 hours!

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Airport restrictions

Postby becsom » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:45 am

It's not recent, but we flew last year and totally forgot about the fluid restrictions. We had a cup of milk for Leila and a carton of formula (for emergencies). They weren't bothered about the sealed carton and just asked one of us to take a sip of the contents of the cup (had to get DH to do it as I can't stand milk).

Not sure if restriction are tighter or easier now, but I think they understand that families with babies NEED to take milk etc on board and will prob ask you to drink some to show it's not something dodgy :wink:

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:47 am

I flew to the Caribbean with Iris in December. Although she was an exclusively BF baby at the time, I did take some formula milk and disposable bottles with us, as I thought it might help her ears at take off and landing. I had no issues at all taking them through - we weren't asked to open the cartons to try the milk.

As for keeping her entertained ... We took toys and gave her a new one every few hours. And did lots of walking up and down the plane. People seemed really happy to talk to her and she had lots of fun meeting people and waving at them.

Have a good trip!

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:02 am

We flew from Heathrow T5 in Nov 08, OMG what a complete and utter nightmare. We bought the ready mix pack of 4 extended formula (aptamil), normally a cows milk drinker, but as it would keep for ages and ambrosia custard pots. We had to open everything, have a sip out of every bottle and pot of custard, therefore rendering them needed to be used asap even before the end of our flight :x I had thought they might randomly pick 1/4 of 2/4 as they could see a sealed 4 pack would be a sealed 4 pack.

However to ease the stress, T5 has a boots the other side of security and they sold EVERYTHING, most brands of small cartons of formula milk etc, so it would have been easier to take empty bottles and pay normal boots prices.

Returning to the UK from the USA (the most secure country!) we didn't even have to remove liquids from the bags, just sailed through.

If I was flying again (which we are not) I would either take an unopened 1 pint of cows milk through, or probably give in and buy powder just so it would be fresh when we needed it.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:04 am

I fly to the UK quite regularly with Rhys, he just has normal cow's milk now. I'm always just asked to take a sip from the bottle (don't have to open it or anything, just through the teat). As for the sealed cartons, not sure, we used to use C&G organic powder before they discontinued it, and I just got my mam to buy some in the UK for me to use there, so I don't know about transporting it.

My avatar
Joaninha
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Joaninha » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:05 am

I'm curious on this one, as well, as we are travelling with the boys this summer...

I believe you can take liquids, as long as you are willing to taste them in front of customs officers. As for yoghurts... Maybe you'd be better off buying some airside, after the whole customs faff is done with? I am not sure you could take your own sealed yoghurt, but maybe the same rule applies, that if you can taste it, it should be fine?

As for entertaining... I will take a sticker book, some crayons and paper, and possibly a couple of toy cars... And I am praying hard that the boys will fall asleep while we are on the air! :wink:
Good luck, and would you mind letting us know how it worked out for you? Thank you!!!!! :wine:

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:10 am

AnnetteandBen wrote:We flew from Heathrow T5 in Nov 08, OMG what a complete and utter nightmare. We bought the ready mix pack of 4 extended formula (aptamil), normally a cows milk drinker, but as it would keep for ages and ambrosia custard pots. We had to open everything, have a sip out of every bottle and pot of custard, therefore rendering them needed to be used asap even before the end of our flight :x I had thought they might randomly pick 1/4 of 2/4 as they could see a sealed 4 pack would be a sealed 4 pack.

However to ease the stress, T5 has a boots the other side of security and they sold EVERYTHING, most brands of small cartons of formula milk etc, so it would have been easier to take empty bottles and pay normal boots prices.

Returning to the UK from the USA (the most secure country!) we didn't even have to remove liquids from the bags, just sailed through.

If I was flying again (which we are not) I would either take an unopened 1 pint of cows milk through, or probably give in and buy powder just so it would be fresh when we needed it.

I've only ever flown through Heathrow once and OMG I hate it. Every single person in the place just seems to be a total jobsworth. As for the whole no liquids thing, I'm sure they're in cahoots with the retailers past security and it's all so that they can sell extra stuff.

After all, weren't all these extra measures brought in after 9/11 and brought in by America, and now they aren't even doing it themselves anymore...

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:11 am

Forgot about the entertaining - Ben was 13 months exactly on his first flight - it was so exciting to just watch what everyone else was doing and being taken for walks up and down the aisles.

A tip for the seats, on the way out we both had bulkhead seats with the BA britax reclining seat for Ben to sit up in when the seatbelt sign was off. On the way back, we could only get 1 bulkhead seat, so I got emergency exit - it worked so much better for us as I was able to get up and down hand stuff and it gave us that bit of extra space so he could walk between us.

A couple of favourite toys also worked.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:44 pm

I'm afraid I got bored reading the replies half way through so this may have already been mentioned, but with her age I would just give her cows milk now!

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler