hf1

Help!

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Help!

Postby HannahBanana » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:02 pm

Ok I think i am the only bottle feeder on here but wondering if anyone can help!

Erin is 15 nearly 16 months now and still has her milk from a bottle a bed time. Is that ok? I tried to swap her to a more cup like thing but with a softish spout to make a transition around 12 months and she was having none of it... went on a milk strike!

I thought I'd give it a bash again last night and she didn't bother with it, had a few sips (after i did some encouraging pretend swigs!) but didn't want it.

James gave her a bottle straight away tonight for bed and she drank the lot.

Should I be worrying? should I make her go cold turkey? It's cleary a comfort thing, but does it matter? if not, when does it matter iykwim??

I stopped giving her milk in the day as don't like her wandering around with a bottle and she won't sit still for it although she has it on cereal and in meals etc

So it is only the one bottle but if it's only bedtime should i even care that she's still drinking from it passed 18 months??

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:31 pm

Hi Hannah,

Lockie still has his milk in a bottle at bedtime and first thing in the morning. I also tried the beaker approach and had no luck.

I'm not too worried at the moment. It's the only time in the day that he will snuggle up with us. He's not cuddly or clingy at all. It takes him less than five minutes to drink it and he doesn't have it at any other times. He drinks water from a beaker in the day. I know it's supposed to be bad for his teeth and speech but for 10 minutes a day I can't see it hurting him. Will prob try again with the beaker in another couple of months.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:40 pm

I think as long as you are following the general advice and not letting her fall asleep while drinking it - you should be okay...

You are supposed to brush her teeth afterwards too...

I think 1 bottle a day will not give her a speech impediment but if she falls asleep with it in her mouth there is a high risk of serious tooth decay - sorry to get all serious on you!!

I have to be careful too as when BM is mixed with food it is worse than a bottle for the teeth - but strangely when it's just BM it's actually better for teeth... So provided I brush her teeth before feeding to sleep (when it works) she can BF to sleep and as many times in the night as she wants and not worry!
Just means I can't be lazy and not do it when she's cranky/extra tired...

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:22 am

Hannah, Charlotte still has one (well 2 by the time we have re-filled it) bottle before bed and I am not really worried about it. She is still young, she likes the bottle as a comfort before bed. The rest of the day she drinks water from a beaker (or tea from my cup!) She feeds for about 10-15 minutes which I can't see having any detrimental effect on her speech. She won't hold the bottle herself - likes to lean back with her hands behind her head and chill out :lol: so there is no fear of her falling asleep with it in her mouth.

Did you see that Supernanny with the woman with 2 sets of twins, they were 3 and 5 and they all still had bottles before bed - I certainly won't let it go on that long but at not quite 17 months I am not concerned. They were also in nappies for nighttime but that is a whole nother story :shock:

She doesn't drink juice, eat chocolate or sweets and we clean her teeth twice a day (well we pretend to - she just likes to chew the toothbrush) so I don't think a little bit of milk it going to rot her teeth - the really strong advice is not to feed your child sugary drinks in a bottle - that is really bad and will rot their teeth.

You have to do what you feel is best but personally I am not going to worry about it for at least a couple more months and then see where we are.

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:48 am

Oh good, I feel better now.

I guess it's similar to boob (taking it off them when they're not ready) as in the way it's their comfort, she associates the bottle with milk and bedtime snuggle, she just doesn't understand it when I put milk in a cup and she likes to cuddle up and suckle from a teat not a spout!

She only ever has water in cups in the day... only get sjuice if we're at friends and she drinks their cups the little sod!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:13 am

I think the comfort and closeness of giving your baby a bottle makes up for any thing else, especially if you clean their teeth after and as pp's have said not let them sleep with it. I love that before bed cuddle and would still do it with a bottle I think if I ff. saying that Josh went from boob to beaker at 12 months but Louis is a different kettle of fish!

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:02 pm

Hannah was a bottle baby and had a milk bottle at night too. When we felt it was time for her to stop having it we switched the milk to just plain water and within a few nights she stopped wanting it all together :)

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:28 pm

Kiara has 2 bottles a day still. One first thing in the morning and one just before bed. It doesn't bother me at all. I love snuggling up and she likes it too because she tends then to stay in the same position and chill out for a while. During the day she has water in her sippy cup, very rarely juice and I brush her teeth before bed too.

Gisele

Return to Baby and Toddler