Tummy sleeping...

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Tummy sleeping...

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:54 pm

Does it make me a bad mummy? I think we might stick with it... :oops:

Grace settles herself and sleeps well on her tummy but yesterday wouldn't settle ALL DAY she barely slept unless in someone's arms or on their shoulder - put her down on her back and she was awake and screaming the place down in minutes...

Last night (in our bed) she rolled herself onto her front after she'd finished feeding and stayed there for erm well longer than I would expect (don't want to say the number of hours as I don't want to jinx it!!) in fact I kept waking up and poking her to check she was ok! :shock:

When she woke later I changed and fed her and put her in the crib on her front and she slept for 3-4hrs...

Isabelle never liked sleeping on her back but with her being prem we stuck with it as didnt want to add to the risk... BUT I might go for it...

Myself and most people of my generation slept on our front and were fine BUT I do know the sids risk increases with front sleeping...

AAARGH!!!! THE GUILT!!!!

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Tummy sleeping...

Postby flutterby » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:57 pm

I think if it's working I'd just go for it .........

does she have a dummy??

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:59 pm

sleeping on the front is supposed to help with digestion, colic etc, to ease your mind you could do it while you are close by so you can keep an eye on her, :-?

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:11 pm

Do you know Steph, I've been thinking about this a lot because once Zach could move about he always settled on his front with his head pushed up against the top of the cot. It would have given me and Zach a lot more sleep if I'd put him that way to sleep in the first place. :-? :roll:

Not sure what I'd do, if you are close by then you can easily keep an eye on Grace, would buying one of those mat monitors that sense breathing be an option?

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:15 pm

the reason why the risk increases is due to it being more difficult for the sproggles to loose extra heat when on their tums.
so it would be extra important to take care that the room is cool and they are not wearing more layers of clothes or blankets if they are on their tums.

i know quite a lot of people who leave babies on their tummies to sleep during the day or if they are in their bed as then they can be constantly monitering the temperature, but if baby is sleeping in a room alone, or not in mums bed, but in cot next to while she is sleeping, then they pop them on their backs.

also, as i have experience of early rollers (tho taneli was not this early!!!! about 6 weeks) and he would always roll onto his tummy, and i spent a few weeks constantly rolling him back, and findning him on his tum the next morning / feed / change...1 silly health visitor told em to keep turning him back...and then another pointed out (to her as well as me) that the risk of sids does go down considerabley with increased mibility, so by the fact he could move himself to more comfortable positions as he wanted or needed meant he was low risk of overheating anyway.

so i stopped turning him like a nutter :)

i still put him down on his back tho..... (but he ALWAYS rolled onto his tum!)

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Thankyou Moderators :)

Postby Allie » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:19 pm

I think if she were my baby i'd be tempted to stick with it. As soon as Harriet was able to roll she became a tummy sleeper and has been ever since.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:24 pm

I agree with the others. If she's happier on her tummy and you're nearby to keep an eye on her I'd be inclined to let her sleep on her tummy too.

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:54 pm

as a small baby sam always slept on his tummy :oops: :oops: :oops: he never settled at all on his back :x now he is usually on his side or front

i never admitted to anyone def not the hv :oops: :oops:

sarahx

so although i ought to say its much safer etc etc i would be a bit of a hypocrite :hohoho:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:58 pm

Steph, Kieran and Anna always slept on their tummies and slept like well babies, the even had little cot pillows as well, I don't think we would have got any sleep if they had been on their backs. Gracie on the other hand preferred to be on her back, basically do what suits you best and no way is it a bad mummy thing to do. xx

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler