hf1

Brushing teeth

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Brushing teeth

Postby Frances » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:27 pm

We've been brushing Jasmine's teeth since her first ones came through at 5 months. She was OK with it for the first few months but now goes mad and seals her little mouth shut. I'm getting a little worried as she has 8 teeth now and we're getting just a few seconds contact with the brush each day. She's got her first dentist's appointment in a couple of weeks, so I'll discuss it then, but in the meantime - how do you brush the teeth of a one year old???

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Thankyou Moderators :)

Re: Brushing teeth

Postby Allie » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:30 pm

We had this with Harriet and the way we managed it was to give her the toothbrush first and let her do it and then she'd usually let us finish off :-? . Now we do it first and she finishes off. We also found cleaning her teeth laying down helped for some reason :roll:

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:33 pm

scrunchkins wrote:We had this with Harriet and the way we managed it was to give her the toothbrush first and let her do it and then she'd usually let us finish off :-? . Now we do it first and she finishes off. We also found cleaning her teeth laying down helped for some reason :roll:

Thanks Allie, I'll try laying her down (she's not so good at holding the toothbrush herself, she just sucks it and won't let it go).
Only really effectve method so far is to wait till she starts screaming then give them a thorough brush when her mouth's open in fury :oops:

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:34 pm

Holding Iris in front of a mirror so she can see herself (and me) seems to help. And if I open my mouth at the same time too, she tends to copy me (I end up gurning at the mirror going, 'arrrrggggh' :oops: ). She definitely likes her teeth being brushed more if she has teething pain - I think she likes the sensation on her gums.

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:42 pm

I always had to sing a silly song to Zac while I did it to get him to open his mouth. :roll: Lockie used to think it was hilarious.

The mirror idea is really good.

I hope she lets the dentist look at her teeth. We've take Zac three times now and he still won't open up. :roll:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:44 pm

I agree with Allie, we used to just give Charlotte the brush and let her basically chew it, Ben is alright at the moment but I am expecting that to change any minute! - I think it is more about getting them used to the routine at this age as they don't really have much sweet stuff - the same with going to the dentist, they don't really do anything but it is good to get them used to going. Charlotte now is happy to brush her teeth and does a pretty good job although having a toddler level mirror (we bought a little stick on one from Ikea and put it on her bedroom wall) sometimes helps (she is so vain!).

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:46 pm

Gracie was fine at first as well but now getting the bottom ones can be a challenge, we have always found that having them facing them away from you is easier. She had her first dental check up in Jan and was fine, dentist even found a new tooth that had just come through the day before!!!!

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Thankyou Moderators :)

Postby Allie » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:50 pm

Jasminesmummy wrote:
scrunchkins wrote:We had this with Harriet and the way we managed it was to give her the toothbrush first and let her do it and then she'd usually let us finish off :-? . Now we do it first and she finishes off. We also found cleaning her teeth laying down helped for some reason :roll:

Only really effectve method so far is to wait till she starts screaming then give them a thorough brush when her mouth's open in fury :oops:

Yep, recognise that method too :giggle: :giggle:. Harriet still chews the toothbrush and we get through a fair few but we don't get fights anymore :D

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:03 pm

Jasminesmummy wrote:Only really effectve method so far is to wait till she starts screaming then give them a thorough brush when her mouth's open in fury :oops:
That's how I did Isabelle's tonight :oops: :oops: She's normally ok-ish if I do them though I do the gurning too (still) and silly songs (a corruption of bob the builder is current fave) and we used to just pin her down - if we sat on the floor cross legged, put her in our laps and go for it... :oops:

She's generally quite good now altho' almost always protests - but then complains if we forget to brush her tongue briefly at the end! I know they don't get brushed for the requisite 2mins though, and they only get done once a day too...

Dentist says her teeth are great though...

Katie - have you tried reading books about the dentist with Zac? Your local library should have some...

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler