hf1

Brushing teeth

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Brushing teeth

Postby becsom » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:10 pm

Jasminesmummy wrote:Only really effectve method so far is to wait till she starts screaming then give them a thorough brush when her mouth's open in fury :oops:

We haven't reached this stage with Nell yet, but remember it well with Leila. I think we just persevered with going through the motions ie attempting to brush them as well as we could until she became a bit more compliant.

Now it's just an accepted part of the bedtime routine, so I'd say just keep trying as best you can :wink:

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:14 pm

Thanks all, think we'll try the mirror method tomorrow

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:57 pm

Just to say when I asked about Jak and teeth brushing, the HV said, that it's more important for LOs to enjoy brushing their teeth than do it properly, if s/he is happy to hold the brush and chew on it, then that's better than making her scream, and having clean teeth, also there is alot of flouride in the water round here and it keeps LOs teeth healthy as they don't need much flouride, it may be worth checking out what the water is like round you :wink:

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:05 am

flutterby wrote:Just to say when I asked about Jak and teeth brushing, the HV said, that it's more important for LOs to enjoy brushing their teeth than do it properly, if s/he is happy to hold the brush and chew on it, then that's better than making her scream, and having clean teeth, also there is alot of flouride in the water round here and it keeps LOs teeth healthy as they don't need much flouride, it may be worth checking out what the water is like round you :wink:

Thanks Hann, I'll check. Must say I'm not keen on the idea of fluoride in water - sure I heard this was potentially a cancer risk.....

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:27 am

Jasminesmummy wrote:
flutterby wrote:Just to say when I asked about Jak and teeth brushing, the HV said, that it's more important for LOs to enjoy brushing their teeth than do it properly, if s/he is happy to hold the brush and chew on it, then that's better than making her scream, and having clean teeth, also there is alot of flouride in the water round here and it keeps LOs teeth healthy as they don't need much flouride, it may be worth checking out what the water is like round you :wink:

Thanks Hann, I'll check. Must say I'm not keen on the idea of fluoride in water - sure I heard this was potentially a cancer risk.....

Gosh that doesn't sound good!

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:30 am

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:32 am

Thanks, that's interesting; there's some debate on both sides. We don't have it in our water here at the moment.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:36 am

TBH even if there weren't flouride in the water here I wouldn't brush Jak's teeth if it were really upsetting him, that doesn't sound quite like what I mean put I can't explain it, so yeah he only chewed his toothbrush rather than having his teeth brushed for a couple of months but now he does it properly himself if I'd forced him before he may well have a complex about it!

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:24 pm

I was going to say that we don't have flouride in our water, but you've found that out already. Anyhoo, it's for that reason that our health authority recommends brushing with a toothpaste that contains flouride at 1000 parts per million. I must have seen endless presentations from MW and HV about the state of children's teeth in our area. :roll:

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler