hf1

Brushing teeth

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Brushing teeth

Postby Frances » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:25 pm

Soupdragon wrote:I was going to say that we don't have flouride in our water, but you've found that out already. Anyhoo, it's for that reason that our health authority recommends brushing with a toothpaste that contains flouride at 1000 parts per million. I must have seen endless presentations from MW and HV about the state of children's teeth in our area. :roll:

Do you use baby toothpaste for Iris, Nichola? I'm sure our HV said to use adult toothpaste for the reasons you've said :-?

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:28 pm

Jasminesmummy wrote:
Soupdragon wrote:I was going to say that we don't have flouride in our water, but you've found that out already. Anyhoo, it's for that reason that our health authority recommends brushing with a toothpaste that contains flouride at 1000 parts per million. I must have seen endless presentations from MW and HV about the state of children's teeth in our area. :roll:

Do you use baby toothpaste for Iris, Nichola? I'm sure our HV said to use adult toothpaste for the reasons you've said :-?

I don't. I got given one free at one of the aforementioned presentations - we use that. It's called Sanderson OHP 1000. When it runs out (when Iris is about 15, it's a huuuuuge tube), I'll use just a regular family toothpaste.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:52 pm

I DON'T use a normal toothpaste for Isabelle as I don't want to risk fluridosis... Or however the smeg it's spelt!!

Poisoning, tooth staining etc - no ta!

We use the age appropriate baby one for Isabelle - for ages we used the free samples you get in the bounty packs...

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:01 pm

I have to admit I am more a going through the motions person when things get too upsetting - so with tooth brushing, like I say it is more about getting them used to the routine and now Charlotte will happily brush her teeth (not for 2 minutes but then I don't think I did at her age and I only got my first filling when I was in my 20s). I always think if you make things into a battle, it makes things worse.

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Evie is a pita when it comes to brushing her teeth - she clamps her mouth shut most times and I have to lay her on my knee facing me and sing silly songs, tickle, and almost bribe her to let me brush. I have a complex about it as ds2 has very bad teeth despite me brushing them twice daily with proper age-correct toothpaste - he has no fillings but does get absesses and his overbite has affected the condition of his teeth really badly. Its just the type of teeth he has as I do the exact same with ds1 who has lovely teeth.

Anyway, off the subject there a bit, what I did want to post was that dentists recommend that you brush your childs teeth until they can write in joined up handwriting, that way you know their dexterity is good enough to brush their teeth properly. So I let all 3 of mine brush their teeth (including Evie) and then I finish them off and make sure they are clean.

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler