Not eating ANYTHING!!!

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Not eating ANYTHING!!!

Postby gayleygoo » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:45 pm

How can toddlers survive on so little food?? :shock: :shock:

Molly has just been eating less and less for the past few weeks, she only eats 2 or 3 spoonfuls of any meal before she declares "don't like it", and refuses to eat any more. a lot of the time she won't even take a bite, even her favourite things like oranges and yoghurt!

All she wants to eat is raisins! She seems to be otherwise healthy so i dont think shes refusing food beacause she's ill or anything. I'm giving her a spoonful of baby multivitamin stuff everyday, and she still has about a pint of milk a day. She just grazes all day; today :

Breakfast - two bites of toast, a couple of cheerios and half a petits filous
Lunch - a couple of spoonfuls of stew, raisins.
Tea - spoonful of carrot soup, nibble of banana
Supper - about a quarter of a weetabix, slice of apple

It would all fit on a saucer with room to spare!! Am i wrong in thinking thats not enough? Once a week MIL takes her out for the afternoon and says she eats loads "chocolate fudge cake, half a caramel square and a packet of jellytots" last time :roll:

I think part of the problem might be that we don't really have sit down family meals. we dont have a dining table but at lunchtime i get Molly's wee ikea table and put our luch on that but she can still get up and walk around the room and play with stuff, and just not eat. She's been moody and tantrumy lately as well so i think she's cross because she's hungry, but is bein really fussy and just wants chocolate (she rarely gets any though, but she has the same addiction i do! :giggle: )

Gayle xx

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Not eating ANYTHING!!!

Postby flutterby » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:40 pm

I wish I could help but Jak will eat anything in sight given the chance, all I can say is if she is hungry she WILL eat! :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:51 pm

:hug: Katie is the same if I sit her in a chair for her meals but when she is strapped into her highchair and can't get out she seems to eat more. FC it's just a phase and she starts eating better soon.

My avatar
cherobanne
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby cherobanne » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:55 pm

Hope it's just a phase :hug:
Matthew's definitely a fussier eater now than he used to be (he used to eat everything!), I'm hoping it's just his age..

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:48 am

Sometimes it does amaze me that children can live on air sometimes! All I can say, is try not to get stressed about it as I think that makes it worse. Just keep offering the food and she will eat if she is hungry I am sure. I remember Charlotte going through phases of eating what seemed like nothing.

Children are amazingly self-regulating and she will not starve. I know it is frustrating but I am sure it will pass. :hug:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:05 am

They do seem to survive on very little sometimes but must say that none of our have ever eaten that little except when ill. We don't always have family meals together as DH is sometimes home too late and the kids eat at 5pm but they are always sat at the table and not allowed to get up and walk around, Gracie is at the table in her highchair. If any of them decide they are going to be fussy they then get fruit and a yoghurt, I refuse to cook something else for them.
What about sandwiches? Gracie isn't overly keen on toast but love sandwiches. I also give all the kids something like minadex (sp) which really perks up their appetite infact they eat us out of house and home!!!!
Stay calm, strong and good luck. x

My avatar
annieb77
Clothie
Clothie

Postby annieb77 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:46 pm

I had the exact same problem with Aaron. Up to a year he would eat anything, then after a particulary bad time teething he decided that he didn't want to eat anything! :crossbaby:

I tried different foods, methods of getting him to eat, in front of the telly, in the kitchen , with us, nothing worked .

People told me to take it away and not offer anything else , but then he'd just wake up in the night for a bottle :(

I got incredibly stressed and upset about it and blamed myself for not trying hard enough but this obviously made the situation worse :oops:

All I can say is check with your HV or GP to make sure theres not an underlying problem (teeth etc) , then I'm afraid it's just waiting the situation out.

They will eat if they are hungry, I read a book that helped me , it's called my child won't eat by la leche league, it's on amazon , I found this quite useful in understanding phsycology wise perhaps why he suddenly decided to stop eating.

I have to say , once i stopped trying to get him to eat , he started eating again , I also let him try everything (even raw onion , which bizarrly he seemed to like? :| ) he's still a fussy eater but he's loads better than he used to be.

I also found that sometimes he woud eat new things if they were prepared a different way, like mini baby bel cheese he would only eat if I grated it, he also went through a stage of only wanting to eat spagetti bolognase every single night, boring , yes , but at least it was organic :giggle:

Good luck , I'm sure it will improve soon , it's a really common problem , like I said if you're really worried , you should ask your GP xx :hug:

My avatar
2climbingboys
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby 2climbingboys » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:39 am

I would mention it to your Health Visitor or GP - Toby has faddy spells/skinny weeks too when you he won't eat very much. It is very stressful and frustrating. :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:16 am

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: Hope things start improving soon.

I have noticed a strange habit Ben has developed, he only eats fruit when really hungry ie morning or afternoon snack, or as a starter for dinner and other times like last night he went back to eating his cottage pie after he had a complete meltdown, then an icecream then proper food again :x

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler