Your Experience of Reflux?

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Your Experience of Reflux?

Postby jules070603 » Tue May 12, 2009 8:11 am

Hi All,

Over the past few days Imogen has gradually got more unsettled at certain times of the day.

Zach suffered from colic for a few hours in the evening until he was around 11 weeks old, crying, wanthing feeds but it making him more uncomfortable, nothing you do helping etc. but Imogen seems different.

Yesterday, from a feed at 3.30pm she was just uncomfortable all the time, she was also sick a fair bit which is something that Zach never was. In the morning she was much happier. She finally settled a bit around 9pm and woke for a decent feed at 9.30 then off to bed we went. Fine until 4am feed when she was clearly uncomfortable again. She cries out in a distressed way and pulls her legs up wriggling about, she grunts when she is in her carry cot and seems to have little wet burps. She coughs and splutters a lot when being winded and seems to have a love hate relationship with the bottles at times. Is it possible this is more than a bit of colic? After this she woke at 6.15 (only went back down at 5.30ish) and had a tiny bit of milk before going back to sleep only to wake an hour later again, this time she took a proper feed and is now sleeping. Each time she was doing the funny grunting noises and was obviously uncomfortable. :(

I am calling the osteopath clinic today and will try and get an appointment as I believe this can be quite good and the HV is coming this afternoon so see what she thinks. We have no issues with weight gain but I really feel like she is in pain. I was also thinking of getting one of the comfort formulas - anyone tried these? I think aptamil do one now (we use aptamil first currently). I have raised her carry cot slightly too.

I was a bit down about it last night TBH as it was awful with Zach, just not being able to do anything to help him and I was so upset that we seemed to be heading the same way with Imogen. Not helped by DH back to work today I'm sure. :cry:

My avatar
rachyrach
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Your Experience of Reflux?

Postby rachyrach » Tue May 12, 2009 11:34 am

ssorry, i have to read and run. But I found this website extremely useful especially for learning lingo of professionals! Hannah had silent reflux and it was extremely distressing and frustrating. Try this and I will find the other stuff I found useful. http://www.littlerefluxers.co.uk/
:hug:

My avatar
rachyrach
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachyrach » Tue May 12, 2009 11:37 am

http://www.pollywogbaby.com/
Some good articles on this site as well.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Tue May 12, 2009 3:55 pm

Jak was very distressed as a teeny baby didn't sleep well at all, but was fine when up an about, he was also constantly sick, I had to carry more stuff then for just him in disposables that I do now with 2 in cloth as we had to change his clothes 4-5 times a day and I carried at least 10 bibs around with me at all times, but he went undiagnosed as he was gaining weight and I knew no better, the being sick carred on until he was over a year old, but luckily he was much happier from around 4-5 months!

I really hope you find an answer, and don't let HVs/GPs ignore you, I wish I hadn't!!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue May 12, 2009 4:25 pm

All 3 of our children have been horrific vomiters but it wasn't reflux they were just sicky babies. I don't think I have know any one with a reflux baby so can't ask for advice all I can say is that I hope you get this sorted soon and have a settled baby. Actually my friend in the US may have experience of this so will ask her, she often has great advice.
I presume you are doing the never having her lying flat, using special bottles for her feeds, the medula ones are meant to be super and were used by the baby whisperer etc. x

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue May 12, 2009 6:10 pm

Jules, my friend in America has 5 kids and 4 of them had reflux, I have asked her advise and if you want I can post what she says. xx

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Tue May 12, 2009 6:26 pm

sam is on treatment for reflux

he has always been vvv unsettled, seemed in pain and even in scbu they could't settle him. he only would sleep on people proped up, and often sleeps with his head right back and his nose in the air :giggle: even in his car seat.

as a small baby we seemed to just struggle from one feed to the next and initially he struggled to gain weight but he has never been v sicky just brings up handfuls iykwim, since on losec he is never sick.

he has never been a good sleeper and has never settled in a cot :( he has always seemed happier on his tum on an incline- like at the moment he is lying on me :x

he is also v bothered by wind-it seems to really bothers him so i don't know what is reflux and what is colic :-?

starting losec (omeprazole) def seemed to help a bit he is never sick and seems more settled

although he wasn't sick much when he was v distressed i could here stuff coming up into his throat which was obviously v sore and he would cough with it and if it was really bad go a bit blue for a few seconds until it settled

hope this helps although i am not sure sam has "text book" reflux this is our experience :D

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue May 12, 2009 8:00 pm

Here is a link to the article I wrote about our experience of reflux viewtopic.php?f=33&t=9725#p115401 it details many of the symptons connected with it. Hope you find the solution and that Imogen becomes more settled for you :hug:

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue May 12, 2009 8:01 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug:

I remember Ben being very sicky, but I don't know if it had another undiagonosed name - he was on aptamil 1 until he went to cows milk at 11 months (HV allowed a month early!)

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler