hf1

Update on Reflux after A&E visit page 2...

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Update on Reflux after A&E visit page 2...

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed May 13, 2009 10:11 am

Went back to the GP today to insist on something better and saw a different one to last time...

He said he's not allowed to prescribe any of the reflux treatments (except gaviscon and carobel) unless a consultant has prescribed it for her first so he is referring her - he said it's quite quick (2-3 weeks! :shock: ) but would fax it this morning and put urgent on it for me although as she is gaining weight it's less urgent...

So we're on the right track now...

He prescribed Carobel for us to try in the meantime - he says it's fab for bottle fed babies but isn't sure how effective it is for breastfed babies but I'm willing to try anything! He actually said she probably doesn't have colic as it's very rare in breastfed babies...
Yesterday evening was dreadful and she fed every 45-60 mins before we took her to bed at 10ish...

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Reflux referral and carobel

Postby Annette » Wed May 13, 2009 10:14 am

Glad you got a better result this time. Sorry I didn't respond to your text, only picked it up this morning and hadn't got around to it.

We tried carobel - I would put it in a bit of ebm or even just mixed with a bit of water. It did work at stopping the sick but once we were on the meds I didn't mind the sickiness as he was a happy chucker then and it was a bit of a faff really.

Hope you get the help you need

My avatar
ericaj1
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ericaj1 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:57 am

Glad you're on the right track now. :hug: FC the appt comes quickly.

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:29 am

Thats great Steph. Hope the referral comes through quickly, sounds like you got the see a good GP this time.

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Wed May 13, 2009 12:01 pm

:hug: i'm so pleased you weren't brushed off hun xx fc the appointment comes through quickly

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Wed May 13, 2009 8:59 pm

Great that you've had a more positive appointment and that you should have a paed appointment soon. Ours took a couple of months to come through by which time Connor's reflux had settled down as he stopped being sick pretty much as soon as he was on solids.

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Wed May 13, 2009 9:11 pm

Glad the gp was more helpful, fc the appointment comes through quickly :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu May 14, 2009 8:42 am

Oh my goodness carobel is a PITA to give!
You're supposed to make it fresh every time (so what are you supposed to do when out and about)
And then you have to give it before during and after the feed... :shock:

Poor mite sounds like she has a sore throat now from the acid - her cry has changed and is really high and pitiful :(

If she's still like it this afternoon I'm going to consider taking her to A&E to get treatment quicker as her cries were really heart wrenching last night and the only thing that comforted/quietened her were being on the boob or asleep :?

She's asleep now though and we did get a few smiles this morning during nappy change time...

Sometimes it seems like she's only really happy when she's naked! :shock: :giggle:

My avatar
rachyrach
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachyrach » Thu May 14, 2009 6:43 pm

Steph, in the end I was so sick of HV and GP's that I bypassed them completely. The nearest hospital doesn't have a children's ward but does have a children's assessment centre, like a day ward. I rang them in a complete state because I just couldn't cope with the constant crying and got to speak directly to a paed doctor/consultant. Got an appointment the same day. Once you can get in once, they say ring if any problems which I don't think they meant but boy did I. :giggle:
Hannah's reflux was silent, not vomiting just went up and down and burned. Must have been like constant heartburn. She was in so much pain, the screaming was just heart breaking and made bf so hard because as soon as she went on she would come off and arch in pain. I constantly had my boobs out! The constant crying made me feel like I was doing something wrong, that she didn't like me, and I was a crap mother. :oops: Of course MIL was convinced it would be all okay if I stopped breast feeding. :evil: We weaned her onto solids early at 16 weeks which helped but understand that may seem a long way off for you at the mo.

She was on gaviscon, ranitidine and motillium in the end, lots of syringes of meds some which have to given before or after a feed and made up each time. I took a pot of boiled water or ebm out with me and added the sachet of powder to it and squirted it with a syringe if i ventured out. But to honest, after a few bad feeds when we were out, and complete strangers looking at me like I was the devil, rolling their eyes because I couldn't calm Hannah down while they were trying to drink their cappucino :evil: , someone telling me that they thought my daughter might be hungry when in fact she was in so much pain she couldn't feed, I stopped going out anywhere if I thought it might coincide with a feed. :oops:
It definately got better once on solids, as it stayed down more and she was off the meds just after her 1st birthday.
I hope you can get some more help soon and Grace starts to feel more comfortable. Don't be fobbed off! :hug: :hug:

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler