hf1

Update on Reflux after A&E visit page 2...

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Reflux referral and carobel

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri May 15, 2009 8:05 am

Update:

Well last night I'd had enough and didn't like the fact that her cries were starting to sound a bit hoarse... so I waited for DH to get home (as I can't take a child with a tummy bug into a children's ward!) and then took Grace down to A&E, who referred me to the out of hours doc (same building), who was extremely sympathetic and referred me to the paediatrician on the children's ward...
We actually got seen quite quickly in all the departments and didn't have to wait long to be seen anywhere (having a baby under 2months old will do that I guess ;) plus the inconsolable crying! - Grace not me ;) )
So after telling my story to five different people, nurses, doctors and receptionists (how tiring does that get!) we eventually got a result...

And out of all the people we've seen over the last week, two GPs, the HV, the Nurse, the four HPs at the hospital... The ONLY person to comment on her nappies was the paediatrician and oh the shame as she'd just gone through three nappies in an hour the only nappy I'd had left was a boring white fuzzi! :hohoho: :giggle: (ok so really NOT the most important thing but I'm sure you ladies understand!!!...)

But it was nice to be taken seriously and none of the HPs I saw last night fobbed me off or made me feel bad for taking her to A&E despite it not being an EMERGENCY emergency IYSWIM...
And the Paed asking me what my job was as it sounded like I was a nurse or midwife or similar! :shock: Apparently I sound like I know what I'm talking about and like I have some medical knowledge! Heh not a bit! :giggle: (Although I did previous work in the chest disease claims dept so you picked stuff up and discovered all sorts of inter-linked medical conditions!)
I just find it all interesting, do my research, take stuff in etc... :)

They've said it sounds like despite the weight gain she has pretty bad reflux so we've been told to keep giving the infant gaviscon with each feed, but in addition to that we're to give her Ranatidine and Domperidone (motilium) but they didn't have any labled bottles (only their huge stash) and would have to order it so DH will be going on his way home from work to collect it - they did give her a dose of the R and D before we left though...
It may take a while for it to really start working well and we got told we need to persevere with the gaviscon (slight slap on the wrist for only doing it for a few days!)

The paediatrician also said he thought infant gaviscon should be given BEFORE a feed not after it... :? I'm going to get DH to check when he picks up the meds... I've got the ward number though so I can always ring and check...

Got back a bit frazzled and Grace then woke up!! Ended up going to bed a bit late but Grace slept well as seems to be becoming usual at night - and went amazingly the longest she's done so far from 11:45 until 7:20! :shock: so I feel quite rested this morning compared with yesterday when she did 6hrs from 10pm and then once I'd finished re-settling her DH had to get up for work and Isabelle wanted to get up at 5.30 :shock: but was persuaded to read books etc until a more normal time...

rachyrach wrote:I constantly had my boobs out!

Yep I feel like that whenever she's awake really... Sometimes a dummy will do but if she wants milk for comfort she's no fool...

rachyrach wrote:The constant crying made me feel like I was doing something wrong,

I felt like that with Isabelle - at least this time I KNOW it's reflux...

rachyrach wrote:She was on gaviscon, ranitidine and motillium in the end,

That's what we've been given by the paediatrician... I might start expressing a little to mix with the gaviscon as she hates the taste! Plus you only neex 1oz per feed so that should be easier than expressing a full feed which quite frankly I don't have time for unless Isabelle's at nursery! (also not looking forward to 'what you doing mummy?')

bad feeds when we were out, and complete strangers looking at me like I was the devil, rolling their eyes because I couldn't calm Hannah down while they were trying to drink their cappucino :evil: , someone telling me that they thought my daughter might be hungry when in fact she was in so much pain she couldn't feed, I stopped going out anywhere if I thought it might coincide with a feed. :oops:

Again it felt like that with Isabelle, I've not been out during feed times so much with Grace :?

It definately got better once on solids, as it stayed down more and she was off the meds just after her 1st birthday.
Yep Isabelle's was pretty much completely gone by the time she was 18months...

Am glad I went but boy was I hungry when I got home having left at 5ish and not had any tea, didn't get home until about 10pm...

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: Update on Reflux after A&E visit page 2...

Postby babyroo » Fri May 15, 2009 8:11 am

:hug: :hug: :hug: so glad you were seen by more helpful people, hopefully the meds will start to help her really soon xx

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Thankyou Moderators :)

Postby Allie » Fri May 15, 2009 8:20 am

Glad to hear you weren't fobbed off, hope the meds start to kick in soon :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Velvetsteph wrote:
And out of all the people we've seen over the last week, two GPs, the HV, the Nurse, the four HPs at the hospital... The ONLY person to comment on her nappies was the paediatrician and oh the shame as she'd just gone through three nappies in an hour the only nappy I'd had left was a boring white fuzzi! :hohoho: :giggle: (ok so really NOT the most important thing but I'm sure you ladies understand!!!...)

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle: totally understand

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Fri May 15, 2009 8:28 am

FC the meds help - having had experience with Isabelle, I would imagine you have lots more knowledge than most, so perhaps that meant you were taken much more seriously last night.

And yes, I totally understand the nappies, when Evie was in hospital after her febrile convulsion, I asked dh to fill a bag while I went in the ambulance, and remember asking him to bring her blueberries, and was very pleased when the paed noticed them :lol:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Fri May 15, 2009 8:40 am

Glad you've finally got some meds that help. Hope you see an improvement very soon.

Velvetsteph wrote: And out of all the people we've seen over the last week, two GPs, the HV, the Nurse, the four HPs at the hospital... The ONLY person to comment on her nappies was the paediatrician and oh the shame as she'd just gone through three nappies in an hour the only nappy I'd had left was a boring white fuzzi! :hohoho: :giggle: (ok so really NOT the most important thing but I'm sure you ladies understand!!!...)

:giggle: Completely understand :giggle:

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Fri May 15, 2009 8:46 am

So glad you seem to be making progress, health profs can be a pain at times.
:hugs:
Hope this works for you

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
ericaj1
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ericaj1 » Fri May 15, 2009 8:54 am

So glad the hospital have sorted you out. Here's to a happy pain free Grace very soon. :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri May 15, 2009 8:59 am

:hug: Poor grace and you, so glad you got listened to eventually and fc it works for her. :giggle: at the nappies

My avatar
afterglow
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby afterglow » Fri May 15, 2009 9:26 am

I'm sorry you're all having such a rough time :hug: I hope the meds do the trick and that things get easier soon.

LOL at the nappies! People always rave at Blythe's Bumgenius and look at me a bit funny when I say "but she's got much nicer ones than those..."

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler