hf1

Imogens Osteopathy Appointment - Update Page 2

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Imogens Osteopathy Appointment - Update Page 2

Postby jules070603 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:03 pm

This morning was Imogens first osteopathy appointment.

It was very interesting, they took a full history of her problems and symptoms and also my pregnancy and the birth. They then examined her and gave her some treatment.

They have a couple of things they want to work on and gave me their theory.

First of all, Imogen was born quickly and didn't immediatley gasp as she was born (she was very quiet, no cry on birth), not entirely sure what they meant but they said this initial 'gasp' is important and the fact that she didn't cry can indicate that the transfer from inside to outside wasn't complete, this is quite common in fast births.

She was also born with the cord wrapped around her body (not neck but around her torso and shoulder), the cord was also quite short (I remember it pulling). This coupled with the fact that her position inside during pregnancy remained the same the entire time indicates that she was quite wrapped up and this can explain the tension she has (hands in fists and body curled a lot). They were feeling around her belly button and doing some 'treatment' (I have no idea what they do!!!!).

They also spent a while with their fingers in her mouth checking her suck and latch (as she is terrible at sucking, she just clicks all the time), they feel that while her suck is OK she actually doesn't latch properly (very interesting when relating that to the constant feeding we had) and this may be related to her tension in that she favours the left side (head leans that way) and the right side isn't quite right.

So basically, they did some treatment today and the lady reckons 3 or 4 sessions will do the world of good, I saw Imogen relax instantly when they did the belly button area and thought she was much more interested in things and less tense. They also don't think the coleif will be needed but TBH I'm too scared to stop using it yet :giggle: but her poo is so runny at the moment and the bottles are such a pain to do I will try without it maybe after the next session. The sucking problem and the cord issues are all related and will both impact on the gut and digestion in there own way hence why they think colief won't be required if the issues are fixed.

The clinic is a charity (paediatric osteopathy) and they take no payment but ask you to make a dontaion if you can, I think they have a number of people training/gaining experience and then a number of consultants. It was very friendly and I felt really comfortable there. I am really glad I made the appoitnment.

I'll keep you updated on progress.

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Imogens Osteopathy Appointment

Postby beck » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:10 pm

Sounds like a great appointment. Fingers crossed the treatment does wonders over the next few weeks :)

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:12 pm

Sounds like the place I took Ben - is it in Manchester? I definately think it worked with him. As I mentioned before, quite apart from the reflux and unsettledness, he also had a gunky eye for the first few months of his life which was put down to a blocked duct that he would grow out of eventually by the docs - in one of the later sessions she said he was alot more settled so she was going to address the eye, she didn't go anywhere near the face and I didn't think much about it until the very next day, I realised I had not had to wipe his eye once and it was clear ever since - amazing. So I don't know what they do but it definately works.

Hope Imogen continues to improve :D

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:20 pm

Hi Annette,

Its in Ancoats, quite tucked away but a lovely place once you're in there!!! I hope it does help, it all makes perfect sense when they explain things.

I'm wondering actually if osteopathy may help my brother, he has terrible problems and pain with his bowels as you know. I think I'll ask her next week, obviously not them but they may be able to recommend someone who treat adults.

My avatar
cherobanne
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby cherobanne » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:16 pm

That's really interesting, I know very little about this - hadn't really heard of it until Annette's post about Ben a while back. Thanks for sharing, Jules, really hope it works well with Imogen - looking forward to hearing of her progress.

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:18 pm

i am sooo pleased it seems to have helped!!!
i have spent a small fortune on cranial for Boo in recent months. basically cos his ear infections were getting almost constant and i was so worried about him taking too many anti biotics and them not working if he really got ill and needed them.
slowly but surely there really seems to have been a big difference! dr is a cynic and claims that he was always going to grow out of it at some point, but the timing to me really points to the cranial!
also his head has actually got noticable rounder (was a very bizzare shape before) which she said could ahve been part of the problem as his skull may ahve been squishing all of the tubes from nose to ears etc, so when he has a cold goo got stuck and festered and eventually turned into an infection.
also the lady who does it is lovely :D

i would certainly take a new baby to see a cranial osteopath for almost any ailment or worry....dont really understand it (tho my sis has tried to explain loads of times!!!) but it does seem to work!!!

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:35 pm

Oh thats really interesting keep us upto date on progress.
I thought about taking Kaydi as she fed constantly when she was little and was always unsettled.
She got stuck on her way out her shoulders wouldn't come out. I think that caused some of our problems. I really wish I'd of taken her now after reading your post.
If I ever have anymore I will def take them if needed. Just have to talk DH in to it now......lol

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:30 pm

Really interesting, so glad it is working for you.

I did think of taking Benjamin, but then later on I couldn't risk anyone touching his head just incase it did more damage than good.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:32 pm

I'm still a skeptic... :-? Perhaps I just didn't give it long enough...

They told me the same things they told Annette and Jules...

Glad it does help some babies and children though :)

Oh and the mcr clinic is a PITA to get to for me as we have to get a taxi (or a very very very long walk) and it's only on a Tuesday which means I have to take Isabelle...

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler