day time naps

My avatar
jennyjanesharp
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: day time naps

Postby jennyjanesharp » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:48 pm

:x :x :x :x

Just tried for 40 minites - 20 mins of attempting to settle her into her cot, no luck - screaming
So i picked her up and tried tyo settle her, and was aparent she was thirsty, so tried water, no, so gave milk, drank it, passed out, then woke when I tried to put her down in the cot - tried to settle her, nope, picked her up, she fell asleep, so i decided to give in and just let her nap on me, so took her into my bedroom and pow - wide awake

:x :x :x :x

will def try not to get disheartened though, an try again in a bit - it's amazing how they try your patience - I could have done this endlessly with the children I have nannied or taught, but with my own, usually good natured baby , noooo!

Thanks AMrion, would be great if you could send me some notes.

I feel bad cos it feel like it's my fault she's gotten used to being rocked/motioned to sleep in the day time :cry:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:37 pm

jennyjanesharp wrote:I feel bad cos it feel like it's my fault she's gotten used to being rocked/motioned to sleep in the day time :cry:

Please don't feel bad - some babies need more parenting to sleep than others... All babies are different and some find it hard to get to sleep and need more comfort than others - you've done nothing wrong!!

I've pretty much parented Grace and Isabelle exactly the same although with Grace I'm 2nd time around so know more about slings and stuff but they've been completely different in their needs for comfort etc...
Isabelle needed comfort to sleep, whether :bf: being rocked etc but Grace when she's tired really hates being held and it just makes her more cross!!

My avatar
Marion
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Marion » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:30 pm

Oh noooo, don't feel bad, like Steph said some babies need more parenting to sleep than others, and it's a natural instinct of babies to go to sleep in their mother's arms. The sleep clinic in melbourne (actually it's a mother and baby centre for help with any problems) has a huge waiting list of parents needing help, and there are several sleep clinics in melbourne. i think one of the reasons is that in recent times the idea that holding your baby a lot will spoil her/him, letting them cry it out etc etc has been replaced by attachment parenting stuff.

about your attempt today, after 20 minutes of trying to settle dd, you should take her out of the bedroom and do something relaxing together for a while - read books, go for a walk, give her a bath. then when you see her tired signs, try to settle her again (for 20 minutes).
definitely don't be disheartened by it, it's gonna take time. and each attempt you make is reinforcing the positive sleep message, that you want her to go to sleep.

btw, i was in a diabolical situation with jasmin, co-sleeping at night, and during the day she slept on me. the only way she would go to sleep was :bf: , and she wouldn't sleep in a cot. if i asked my mum or aunts for advice they all told me to let her cry it out. my cousins and friends told me to do the "eat play sleep" (separate :bf: from sleeping) but i couldn't figure out how to do that with jasmin. so i waited till i went to australia to get help from a sleep clinic.

will try and copy the notes tomorrow.

:hug: marion

My avatar
weefywoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby weefywoo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:30 pm

jennyjanesharp wrote::x :x :x :x
I feel bad cos it feel like it's my fault she's gotten used to being rocked/motioned to sleep in the day time :cry:

Don't feel bad as the other ladies said all kids are different!! Imogen goes to sleep on her on own thank god but dd1 at 22 mths still needs someone with her to sleep, we never rocked her or used motion it's just the way she is! She has always since she was very young wanted the comfort of another person!
I hope you get the result you want soon I know how hard it is with a baby who fights you about sleep
Frances x

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler