day time naps

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: day time naps

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:50 am

Aww hugs.
My lo is a crap sleeper both day and night - she just wants to play!!! She reluctantly naps at 11am for approx 30-60mins, but as for an afternoon nap - all hell breaks loose lol! If we're in the car she'll doze, but at home she screams the house down, so we've altered her bedtime routine and she now goes to bed a bit earlier.
Hope u find something that works for u, it's very tiring having a baby that won't sleep - u feel like unever get any time out. :hug:

My avatar
rachel
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rachel » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:01 pm

Can't offer any help Jenny, but my DD is exactly the same. She fights the naps and only gets to sleep by :bf: . If I oput her in her cot she jsut screams bloody murder :x . It is completely soul destroying, and there is only so much crying I can listen to before I give up. It's really hard, especially when people, like my mother, say just let her cry! She really does get herself into a state tho...only tried it once...she was almost hyperventilating!! :giggle:
Hopefully when she gets a bit older and starts to use up more energy she will be more willing to go to sleep.
It's ironic...I have ababy that I want to sleep and won't and a 3 1/2 yr old that I don't want to sleep that has now started having daytime naps again!! :roll: Hope it gets better soon :hug:

My avatar
jennyjanesharp
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby jennyjanesharp » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:56 am

Thanks Racheal, that makes DD sound slightly more normal! I know... the whole leaving them to cry - god she chokes so much :(

Anyhoo, I have just begun a huge argument between me and DD!!!!!
She got tied so i popped her in bed, popped her music on (what she sleeps to at night) and patted her, and shhhh'ed, then she cried and cried and cried, so i picked her up, clamed her down, then did the same - 4 times!!! In the end she got herself into such a state I cuddled her on my rocking chair and she fell straught asleep on my shoulder :roll:
So she's in bed now, after a big fight 9the first of many!)

is the good, bad, a start???? help!

My avatar
Marion
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Marion » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:01 pm

hey jenny, that is a start! good or bad i don't know.
jasmin also used to cry uncontrollably, she would have total meltdowns and the only way to calm her would be :bf: , although she would still sob on and off for the rest of the day. it was only when she was about 14mo that she was able to stop crying on her own.

question - did you leave the room after putting her in the cot? (to give her the opportunity to go to sleep on her own).
when she was crying did the crying start to get a "musical" sound to it - that indicates they are getting sleepy.

if the patting isn't working, after a few minutes try rolling her onto her side (facing away from you) and double-patting her very strongly on her shoulder and hips (or rock her gently back and forth), if she's still not getting sleepy after another five minutes, then put her on her back again and pat her on her tummy or whereever. in other words try each kind of patting for 5 minutes.
also, after the first five minutes you can offer a dummy/pacifier - but only offer it once each time. if dd spits it out then leave it.

it's best not to pick dd up. persevere for 20 minutes with patting. there will usually be 3 "peaks" of crying - most parents give up after the first peak, or the 2nd peak. but you've gotta be strong and ride it out. think of it like this - you are teaching her a new skill, which is how to go to sleep independently without any "sleep associations". it's not easy learning new things, and the only way dd can tell you that is by crying.
if you hear her crying becoming "musical" then you know you are making progress and she is getting sleepy.
also experiment with patting - patting very strongly (so that the cot shakes a little) and gentle patting. alternatively pat the mattress next to her strongly (again so that it shakes a little). alternatively just put your hand on her tummy (no patting).

it will take 3 days for this new sleeping arrangement to be in your dd's memory. for now your dd remembers that she goes to sleep in the car or pram (the sleep association is movement) so she's gonna protest a lot. (and it may take 2 weeks or more for this system to work).

it's up to you whether to continue trying, or to leave it for a couple of weeks and try again, or to just forget about the whole thing! only you can decide based on your own individual situation.

hth,
marion xx

p.s. edited to add - this system is not the same as crying it out, because you are with your dd the whole time

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:23 pm

jennyjanesharp wrote:thanks marion, that's really helpful! :hug:

I wish someone was here though toback me up when my patience has run out :hohoho:

Oh there's nothing like an overtired cranky crying baby to test your patience! :roll: :giggle:

We're still at the stage where we swaddle but she has fallen asleep this lunchtime without the swaddling but I did have to rock the pram a bit more than normal (I do rock the pram during the day to get her to sleep) and I do try and get her back to sleep if it's under an hour too as usually she'll wake because something's disturbed her...

Night-times I can't comment on as Isabelle woke every 1.5hrs for ages, and Grace sleeps much better and has done from the start! We normally get one 5-7hr stretch from her and put her down sleepy but unless she's windy I don't need to pat etc...
For the cot/crib I'll pat and hold the dummy in while she's swaddled...

I was determined not rocking her to sleep this time as we were still doing it with Isabelle when she wast 12 months and 18months and it was a killer! But it just seems that Grace isnt' keen on being held when she's tired anyway! That said sometimes the sling will settle her to sleep but she doesnt' sleep as long in there...

Mind you Grace sleeps on her tummy most of the time which helps her settle better - she's much harder to settle on her back...

Another technicque you can use is to hold your child when they're over tired and let them cry - but in your arms... Dont' rock or pat etc just hold them, reassure them yo'ure there... Some babies cry to shut out the world... I tried it with Grace once and she went to sleep in my arms pretty quickly - was horrid though but to be honest I think she cried for a shorter time than when I'd been trying to settle her!

My avatar
jennyjanesharp
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby jennyjanesharp » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:36 pm

well... nap no.2 today... and she cried for 11 minutes... i didn't pick her, up patted the bed hard, like you suggested Marion, and she had several boughts of crying, but went to sleep hurrah :wine: :notworthy: :-P :-P :-P

Yeh, she's one of these babaies that really doens't like being held when upset, and is freakishly strong when she wants to be!
It was sooo nice when she was wee, cos she went to sleep anywhere, esp in the sling whilst i did house work! Albeit she only slept for 20mins max a time!

well, i'm impressed with myself, but desperatly need paracetamol and caffine now, maybe a G & T later :hohoho:

so... is it a case of carrying this on???? What about when im out all day/... also we're off to Cambridge for 5 days next week, shall i just throw routine to the wind when we go??? apart from feed and bedtimes of course!

:hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Marion
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Marion » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:49 pm

hey well done jenny !!

jennyjanesharp wrote:so... is it a case of carrying this on???? What about when im out all day/... also we're off to Cambridge for 5 days next week, shall i just throw routine to the wind when we go??? apart from feed and bedtimes of course!

but now i remember yet another thing :oops: - the sleep clinic advised you should try this when you have a couple of weeks to dedicate to it.
sorry there was so much info from the sleep clinic and it was a long time ago.

maybe keep on going with it?? do you need to go out all day before you go to cambridge? oh i don't know!
and jasmin has just woken from her nap so i've gotta run.

marion xx

My avatar
Marion
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Marion » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:01 pm

hello, back again. given this some more thought, and reckon you may as well continue on now that you've started.
though on the other hand, i have found my notes from the sleep clinic, and it advises to "start this program when you know you can put other activities aside to focus on you and your baby, and when you know you can see the program through".
will try and photocopy some of the notes and send them to you.
in the meantime some of the good points it mentions are:
- watch for signs of tiredness, and pick on the tired cues early because it is more difficult to settle an overtired baby
- have a quiet wind down time with your baby in her bedroom before settling (a cuddle, gentle talking or singing a song). this will become part of the relaxing process that your baby learns to associate with sleep.
- place your baby into her cot awake
- give your baby the chance to go to sleep by herself. if she cries, wait 30 seconds then go back into the room
- use settling strategies to quieten your baby only, not to put her to sleep, so she can learn to settle to sleep herself (with jasmin i patted her till she was asleep, she was self-settling within a week anyway)
some pre-sleep signs are: body becoming relaxed, fluttering of eyelids, tuneful hums and groans, change in crying, sobbing and sighing
- some other settling techniques are: gentle stroking of her forehead, soft music or singing, gentle "sshing" or saying "go to sleep, go to sleep", placing your hands reassuringly on her shoulder and bottom
- you may find that at different times of the day your baby responds to different settling techniques
- resettle your baby if she sleeps for less than one hour
- if there are times when you baby does not settle, don't feel bad. the repetition of the settling techniques is valuable and your baby will eventually learn
- by being consistent with the settling techniques you give your baby clear and consistent messages that you want her to go to sleep. this will help her through the learning process.
- reward and congratulate yourself
- you can do it!

phew! that's enough. time for bed.
marion xx

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:20 pm

I'm so glad to have read this today! My LO sleeps well at night, and I am very thankful for this, but sleeps poorly during the day making him grumpy and whingey! :crossbaby:

I've recently managed to figure out approximately when he needs his morning nap, but sometimes he wakes after 30 mins or so. I've tried eliminating excessive noise and light, but something still seems to be waking him up!

His lunchtime nap though doesn't often happen unless we are on the move, and that's something I really need to get him out of now, as I would quite like some time to myself.

I'm going to try some of the ideas you have come up with, but mainly I need to be able to keep my patience!

Kate

PreviousNext

Return to Baby and Toddler