hf1

Follow on formula?

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Follow on formula?

Postby beck » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:14 pm

Do you believe in the use of follow on formula after 12 months? Do you think they are necessary?

My avatar
buzzybee21
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Follow on formula?

Postby buzzybee21 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:18 pm

No, but the manufacturers are allowed to advertise follow-on but not infant formula. :evil:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:21 pm

You know I've never realised that but your right! I cant remember ever seeing an ad for formula.

Does anyone know why?

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Thankyou Moderators :)

Postby Allie » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:33 pm

I never bothered with follow on formula from 12 months. I figured that Harriets diet was varied enough for her to be receiving all the vitamins etc that she needed and she was fine with full fat cows milk.

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:39 pm

they're not allowed to advertise formula for babies under 6 months old by law, which is where the follow on stuff comes in

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:58 pm

i used the cow and gate one on bailey when he wasn't eating very well. did him no harm, but doubt it was much better than cows milk

My avatar
buzzybee21
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby buzzybee21 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:58 pm

It's not just advertising - in the UK they can't offer any incentive towards any infant formula and aren't included in supermarket loyalty points or anything.

But.... they can raise the profile of, e.g. SMA follow on so that when you go in to the supermarket you recognise the SMA brand and project the messages you saw in the follow on milk onto the infant milk.

I have always used cows milk full time when they got to 1 and infant formula when they weren't bf'ed before that.

My avatar
cherobanne
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby cherobanne » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:03 pm

Matthew weaned from bf at 1yr and I put him straight onto cow's milk. He had a good varied diet so I didn't see the need for follow on formula.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:21 pm

We use follow-on formula purely because Bella will not drink cow's milk. We've tried her with it soooo many times and she's just not interested. She would rather ignore the whole milk drink idea than drink cow's milk, so we decided she could continue having a formula bottle :oops: first thing in the morning, which she loves!

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler