hf1

Follow on formula?

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Follow on formula?

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:31 pm

We moved to full fat cows milk at 11 months (on advice of HV). I personally don't see the point in it and I wouldn't pay for it but then Ben was eating proper food at 11 months and enough of it to make sure he was getting everything he needed.

My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby PoshMama » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:32 pm

It's a scam in general.

DD is almost 10 months if we werent BF'ing and her current lack of solids I'd use normal baby milk as its easier on their tums vs cows milk

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:37 pm

beck wrote:You know I've never realised that but your right! I cant remember ever seeing an ad for formula.

Does anyone know why?

Its to enable new parents to be to make an informed unbiased decision about how they are going to feed their baby for their first 6 months of life rather than being bombarded by adverts for infant formula. OTOH advertising of follow-on milks isn't banned. :roll:

My avatar
buzzybee21
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby buzzybee21 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:53 pm

tanya2007 wrote:We use follow-on formula purely because Bella will not drink cow's milk. We've tried her with it soooo many times and she's just not interested. She would rather ignore the whole milk drink idea than drink cow's milk, so we decided she could continue having a formula bottle :oops: first thing in the morning, which she loves!

But you don't need to buy follow on for that - you could easily keep with infant formula :) Or try her on any of the other milks out there - goats, soya, rice, oats, etc. But as you say, it's not the important thing.

My avatar
emmajayne33
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby emmajayne33 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:29 pm

Abbie weaned from BF at around a year and she went straight onto cows milk... to me it seems unnecessary, as long as your child has and will eat a varied diet, I don't see the need for it. :)

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:39 pm

I don't see the point of follow-on formula. :-? There's currently an ad that says that for a toddler to get all their iron requirements they'd need to drink 20 litres of cow's milk - as though milk is the only source of iron. I hate that ad! I can't believe that they're allowed to present such a biased POV. I dread to think of the tactics that formula companies employ in countries that are less ad-regulated than the UK, if they present that kind of drivel here. Iris has breastmilk and cow's milk.

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:27 am

Soupdragon wrote:I don't see the point of follow-on formula. :-? There's currently an ad that says that for a toddler to get all their iron requirements they'd need to drink 20 litres of cow's milk - as though milk is the only source of iron. I hate that ad! I can't believe that they're allowed to present such a biased POV. I dread to think of the tactics that formula companies employ in countries that are less ad-regulated than the UK, if they present that kind of drivel here. Iris has breastmilk and cow's milk.

I hate that ad too :evil: Its so stupid.

Zach stayed on aptamil first until he was about 20 months old then we swapped to full fat cows milk. I figured that while he was still having a fair amount of milk we would stick with the formula. Now he still has a fair amount of milk and its semi skimmed.

My avatar
Allie73
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Allie73 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:39 am

When my son was one, he had been on formula for about two months. I put him on cow's milk after his first birthday, but I gave him one bottle of follow on formula a day. I did this because we travel quite a bit and I thought it would be easier to take formula (power and bottles of water) on airplanes rather than trying to keep milk cold. I did that until he was 17 months old and now he just has cow's milk.

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler