hf1

Speech - should I be worried

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Speech - should I be worried

Postby Annette » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:52 pm

I have never been worried about Ben's speech but when he had his 10m check they were concerned he wasn't making recognisable sounds. They called back for their 3m follow up and left me a message last week which I was reluctant to respond to. But reading about how much other children the same age are saying and then watching Jasmine's video, I realise that Ben doesn't actually say anything. He can manage bubububub and dadadadada and what sounds like ya ya as he nods his head which is cute as he seems to be saying yes although it isn't in response to anything iyswim.

Otherwise he is doing brilliantly, he walks confidently now and is climbing up all over the furniture. Should I be worried about his speech and see the HV again or is he just a physical child rather than a verbal one?

Charlotte has always been a very accomplished speaker and I suppose being the second child we don't spend as much time actually speaking to Ben one on one - there is alot of talking that goes on around him but we don't sit down and spend time talking to him or reading to him like we did with Charlotte, could it just be we need to make more effort?

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Speech - should I be worried

Postby charliesam » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:58 pm

i think it is far to early to be worried sam never said anything until about 1 month ago and that was woof-woof which only a devoted mum would recognise and he now makes a clicking noise for horse/cow.
henry my oldest could speak in whole conversations by 16 months and charlie never said a word until he was well over 2- he certainly makes up for it now :giggle:

My avatar
emmajayne33
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby emmajayne33 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:05 pm

I don't think so. Every child is different, Abbie crawled at 6.5 months, walked at 9 months and has always been very agile. She's great at running, jumping, skipping etc. With her speech however, she isn't so great. She didn't say her first word till she was 13months and even now she doesn't speak as well as some of the children she goes to playgroup with.

I spoke to my HV when she visited me and Isaac and asked her advice. She said that I really shouldn't be concerned. Children develop at a different pace. And they usually excel in either speech OR the physical side of things... Abbie has suddenly started speaking alot, and it's allot clearer and understandable.

Perhaps if you want to put your mind at rest you should get in contact with your HV, if they believe it is a problem, they could refer you to a speech therapist.

IMO don't think you have anything to worry about though :)

My avatar
cookiegirl
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cookiegirl » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Hmmm.......interesting.

Annette, I am in exactly the same boat as you with Jude.....I think there is a week or two between them? I was just talking to the HV this afternoon about Jude's speech and she was not very worried, altho I had some concerns. Jude sounds identical to Ben, only saying da-da-da and ma-ma-ma, no recognisable words either. :-? He won't nod, he likes to shake his head no but does it OTT and it becomes a game to him.

I was told he would be walking at 10.5 months but even now at 13 months he will only just stand and take the odd step. We seem to have taken a step backwards on this :( (no pun intended! :oops: ) He is incredibly fast at crawling though, sometimes too fast for me to keep up!! :giggle: A doctor friend mentioned that because he is quite tall for his age, it could be he has a bit more weight to carry, therefore he could be delaying his walking IYKWIM. Not too sure about this, but I'm sure he will get there eventually.

As for reading, we read every night and anywhere we go...even in supermarkets I'll read the labels to him :giggle: He didn't really take that much notice until recently, and is now less impatient to turn the page.

I'll be interested in any views on this as it has been worrying me too (esp after seeing Jasmine's vid- altho today he did say e-i- after Old McDonald!)

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:13 pm

Might be worth checking... Isabelle was a very late developer in a lot of areas including with speech and even now she's often not very coherent and it turns out she's got glue ear which I suspect she's had a long time poor kid...
That said she is a complete chatterbox though...
Perhaps get his ears checked first?

I think at 10 months it is a bit early to be worried - my 14month old neice says thankyou and hello but that's the only recognisable sounds she makes yet she's perfectly bright and happy and makes other noises...

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:24 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:I think at 10 months it is a bit early to be worried - my 14month old neice says thankyou and hello but that's the only recognisable sounds she makes yet she's perfectly bright and happy and makes other noises...

He is over 13m now.

I think I will leave it a while, as I say, I wasn't worried until I compared him to other people's lo's and this reinforced the hv concerns :roll: I am sure he is just a late talker.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:33 pm

I wouldn't worry Annette but I know what you mean about Jasmines video, she's a clever cookie :giggle: Gracie doesn't say much either as you know just a few phrases, she has been driving us mad with "what's that" for what seems a life time, she says row row (in her own way) and see saw. My sisters daughter didn't utter a word until she was nearly 2 and now never shuts up. Anna was later to speak that Kieran but I think a lot of that had to do with her being a second child, they just don't need to talk as every one else does it for them. I talk to Grace all the time and most of the time she looks at me as if I'm mad1!!!! Ben is still very young so I would leave it for a bit yet. xx

My avatar
buzzybee21
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby buzzybee21 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:40 pm

:-? All sounds strangely early - we don't even have 10 month or 1 year checks from the HV so it obviously isn't a problem in Hampshire...

My friend's little boy is 6 months younger than my Theo and speaks in sentences and holds conversations. Theo understands everything you say and follows instructions (when he's minded to :roll: ) like a dream. But he only just strings 2 words together. For a long time he would only say about 10 words and none of those were Daddy - he will even now only call dp "Daa". They sent a sheet through when he was 2 with a few key speech things and he was fine on those. It sounds like all these boys are perfectly normal to me!

cookiegirl wrote:.....I was told he would be walking at 10.5 months but even now at 13 months he will only just stand and take the odd step. ....

That's really early still. Neither of mine walked before 15 months.

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:15 pm

Hi Annette,

Zach was very late with his speech, he was amongst the last on his BB to start speaking, probably after the age of 2 when I could honestly say he was talking. He always understood instructions though so I tried not to worry about it.

He's only just at the conversation stage now really and I found it very hard not to compare him with other children particularly when a friends daughter was having conversations with us at around 18 months.

I have asked for a referral now as while his vocabulary is briliant now he still doesn't pronounce some letters properly so the HV suggested referring him now to get on the list. Steph actually mentioned the facial injury he had when he damaged his teeth before Christmas and we think this could be part of the problem as he doesn't put his tongue in the right place behind his top teeth.

Anyway, I digress, I don't think you should worry at all. If you think he can hear you well and he is understanding what you say to him (although this could be more relevant in a few months) then I'm sure all is well. I think you would 'know' if you needed to make an issue of it IYSWIM.

xxx

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler