hf1

Speech - should I be worried

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Speech - should I be worried

Postby Amanda » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:36 pm

I know you've had plenty of reassurance already, but I just wanted to add that Finn really isn't saying much at 15 months, just daddy, mama and bubble/babble, which means either bubbles or apple, depending on whether he's in the bathroom or has just spotted an apple :lol: . He doesn't really babytalk, unlike my friend's dd who was born on the same day, who constantly chatters with all the correct intonation of a sentence. And she's been walking independently for over a month, and can even safely use a small slide properly. Whereas Finn's slow with that too and is only now starting to show an interest in using his walker and can't stand on his own yet either.

Connor was a late talker too, I know Jules and I both felt our boys were a bit 'behind' on this compared to others on our BB, and although his pronunciation still isn't great he has a good vocabulary and is very interested in words, spelling, etc. Connor was an early crawler though, and up on his feet well before Finn. So no.2 is neither physical nor verbal!

It's difficult not to compare, but at least being a second-timer you know that they all get there eventually (but that doesn't stop a little bit of envy sometimes :roll: :) )

My avatar
2climbingboys
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby 2climbingboys » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:50 pm

Joaninha wrote:Jaime started talking quite late on, several months after Isabelle started, actually. I wasn't too worried, as I knew that bilingual children take a bit longer to start talking, but my reading also says that second children are much later developers in speech, because, as everyone has pointed out, there is a lot of talking going on around them, and they don't have to...
Lucas, otoh, is saying things like "thak you" and "lion" and "row row" and "yea", though no coherent sentences yet. I am sure he will catch up and start speaking when he is ready... And become the chatterbox Jaime has also turned out to be... :giggle:

Ben is such an accomplished little boy, he will get to speaking when he is ready! But if you have concerns, do bring them to your HV's attention... :hug:

WSS - Blake is hardly talking either - he is far too busy following Toby everywhere & watching him to do/say much himself. Toby was quite advanced I think cf. Blake, but i'm not at all worried.

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:57 pm

It is interesting. Lockie was referred to the speech therapist at 2 yrs 3 months because he wasn't talking at all. By the time his appointment came through (6 months later :roll: ) he had caught up and was discharged. Now he doesn't stop and he speaks very well and clearly.

Zac on the other hand started talking well before his second birthday and although he is quiet he has a very wide vocabulary already. Such a contrast to Lockie.

It does seem that they are worrying about Ben very early though. Although with the length of time that referrals take maybe it's a good thing to get on the list early.

My avatar
weefywoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby weefywoo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:41 pm

Sorry I have not read all replies but just wanted to say I would not worry too much, Aoife is 22 mths & is only starting to say things which are recognisable and its still only about 10 words and none of them really go together :-? ie Hi Mama, Pooh, num num (food) cheese, there, Laa laa, I'm not too worried at this point as she is still young & has been slow with other things...She was slow to roll & crawl, but really fast with walking & running .......
Frances x

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:10 am

i wouldn't worry at all, he is soo little!!!!
I remeber when taneli was just one and an aquaintance of mine was telling me how her kid answered yes and no to her questions and they could have a proper converstaion etc...obviously i went home all worried, cos Taneli said 'bababa dadada mamama' etc, but a few months later, his speech suddenly came n a big burst, and she happened to see these people somewhere and her baby is still doing 'yeah, no, and mamamam' and taneli was much more coherent and with a much greater vocab :P
so they all do things at different speeds...if you are not worried about his hearing i think its waaaaay to early to be worried about speech

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler