hf1

Swaddling

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Swaddling

Postby kt24 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:37 pm

I have swaddled Zac since he was newborn because he always throws his arms about and scratches his face and wakes himself up.

I had hoped that he would have calmed down now and would be able to go into his grobag. However he still won't sleep with his arms out. :?
Is this normal?
Never had this problem with Lockie. He wore growbags from a couple of months old.

My avatar
ericaj1
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ericaj1 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:00 pm

Couldn't you tuck his arms ino the gobag? Or is it too big to do that ie he would fall into it.

My avatar
ginchyworld
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby ginchyworld » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:46 am

YOu could try weaning him off the swaddle. Say a week with one arm out, next week do both arms out, next week wrap really lightly over grobag, then just the grobag. That's what we did and it seemed to work reasonably well.

My avatar
lilylover
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby lilylover » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:52 am

Sorry to ask, how old is Zac? If you have swaddled him since birth it would be a great comfort and most probably a great sleep cue for him. And it is normal for some babies to need it until they are fairly old. I think we swaddled lily until she was around 10 months as she slept so much more peacefully with it. So there is no reasonable age to stop I guess if you really want to stop it you can do what the pp said and wean him off it. If it doesn't work too well I guess you'll know that he's not ready. And if he sleeps great with it, why change?

hth,

Sam...

My avatar
lilylover
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby lilylover » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:54 am

Duh just saw your ticker, he's still so young so I wouldn't worry to much :D

Sam...

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:00 pm

We swaddled our eldest Ella still when she was in a big bed, she was about 2 1/2 when we stopped :oops: The thing is she slept really well and I beleive if it is working well then why change. We gradually weaned her off by just doing it looser every night.

Zac is still really young, if you and he are happy then continue with how you are doing it. :D

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:35 pm

Thanks everyone.

I just keep assuming he will do things at the same time and in the same way as Lockie and of course he's not going to do that!

Will continue with the swaddling as he obviously does feel more secure and sleeps well when wrapped. Might have to get a bigger blanket though. :lol:

My avatar
clothpenguin
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby clothpenguin » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:04 am

I know this post is a bit old now, but do all you swaddlers have any tips for wrapping?

CP +Beans

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:04 pm

a nice square blanket, or my personal favourite is a brush cotton flalt sheet (not square but still!!)
fold down one corner so its almost a triangle (or not really if its not square) and pop baby on it with head popping out of flat folded over bit. take the shorter edge (if rectangular) or either isf sqaure and with sprog arms folded over himself wrap side over and then under his body. then fold bottom of sheet up pver his feet and the wrap the other side round and round till secure. then cuddle baby and pop in cradle!

i hope that makes some sense!! you can also buy special swaddling blankets that have snaps of velcro, but personally never used them.

actually for taneli i had a fleece one that velcro'ed, but he was too big to use it...and it was summer when boo was born. that one was clever cos it has slits for car seat or buggy harnesses to go though.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler