hf1

Wide awake in the middle of the night!!

My avatar
rachel
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Wide awake in the middle of the night!!

Postby rachel » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:37 pm

Has anyone else experienced this with their LO? Evie is always knackered by 7 so I :bf: at 6.45 and she falls asleep (feeding to sleep...thats another story!!! :( ) wakes around 10.30pm, 1.30pm and 5ish, but more often than not now somehwere in the night she is awake for about an hour and a half!! :shock: Last night she was wide awake for her 1.30 feed and fed for 30 mins pulled off but was still wide awake. She got herself off to sleep about 2.15 ( a very rare occurance). So that was her awake time...or so I thought. At 5am she woke again, fed and was still wide awake...did not get back off until 6.30 :x :x :x :x . I tried allsorts more :bf: , rocking (makes her :evil: ). My DH and I are at wits end!
She is in her own room and is BLW but I keep reading that how much they eat does not effect their sleep. Sorry to ramble on, just don't know what to do now? Bought the 'No-cry sleep solution' by Elizabeth Pantley, seems really good but not had a chance to put it to action yet, and it doesn't mention what to do if all your baby wants to do is stand up :x How can you go back to sleep standing up????? Really not a fan of CIO!
Any suggestions? Anyone had this?
Thanks, sleep-deprived Rachel :cry:

My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Wide awake in the middle of the night!!

Postby PoshMama » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:38 pm

I vote later bed time and please dont use CIO, it's really awful for babes

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:24 pm

No solutions here - Isabelle just grew out of it, seems to be a stage they go through however irritating that is... :?

Only thing that helped us really was for night-time feeds don't change her unless she's poo'd... Lights off or super low, no eye contact (sounds harsh but you don't want to alert them) just pick up, feed&cuddle and put back to bed, no talking to her aside to say something like back to sleep now, or see you in the morning and the like...

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:26 pm

No real advice I'm afraid, but just want to say I've heard good things about the No Cry Sleep Solution. I did actually buy a copy but didn't use it as I'm really rubbish and was put off by the fact you need to keep a sleep diary for two weeks before taking any action. I wanted a quick fix, which is daft as we'd been having sleep problems with Connor for a lot longer than two weeks! My friend used it and found it very helpful.

Connor also liked standing in his cot. We (sorry I :roll: ) just spent however many nights it was going in and lying him down, leaving the room, and then repeating until he got the message.

I also have to say that I disagree about food during the day not affecting sleep. Finn refused a spoon and we started BLW at about 7mths. Although I could see from his nappies he was eating some food rather than just wearing it, it definitely wasn't enough for him. He'd reduced his day :bf: and although I offered it more frequently he wasn't interested, instead was waking every 1.5hr at night for a few weeks. OTOH I know many BLWers don't find that to be the case so wouldn't want to suggest you change how you feed Evie. And he certainly wasn't wide awake and standing in his cot, more that hunger had broken through his sleep so he was still very tired as well as hungry (and subsequently fell asleep after a couple of sucks so didn't fill up and woke 1.5hrs later :roll: ).

Sorry, not much help, hope someone else comes up with something more useful.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:59 am

I am a big believer in just putting them back to bed saying night night and leaving the room, returning however many times it takes. I think they get the idea that it isn't much fun being awake in the middle of the night and allow themselves to go back to sleep, but it is hard work. I wouldn't leave them to cio - I am not strong enough to do that, it would just kill me to hear them cry!

I also think that hunger does play some part in night waking - not all of it is down to how much they eat, but certainly I notice if Ben does not eat enough.

My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby PoshMama » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:58 am

My first child woke to drink, even water, he was just thirsty. I think it helps if the room is dark and you just stay in the dark. Going in the lounge and playing doesn't help, although I admit I'm guilty :oops: I just get sick of trying after a while sometimes and say oh well let's just go tire her out.

but also finding the right bedtime for your babe is important, it's not always the time WE want them to have :wink:

My avatar
rachel
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rachel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:27 pm

Thanks ladies for the replies. Her room is blacked out, and I don't talk to her or even look at her. She's a little tinker though and winges the minute she opens her eyes...no middle ground. Haven't tried a drink of water yet, she's only just started drinking it in the day...she thinks a beaker is a toy!! :hohoho: Usually only booby will do, it's my only ammunition, but at the moment soemtimes even that doesn't work. Will have to get my but into gear and do the sleep log methinks and try some of the 'gentle' methods! :)

My avatar
rachel
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rachel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:33 pm

Ooh yeay...meant to say, Poshmama(sorry I don;t know your name) she is so tired by 7pm that she just whines and closes her eyes the minute she hits the boob :giggle: .Otherwise I would keep her up later, my DS is up later so it would make no odds to us. Maybe a later nap then a later bed would work?

My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby PoshMama » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:05 pm

I meant with the water that sometimes they will even wake for water, if your BF'ing then you should BF really :wink:

Only lately did DD drop her 3rd nap. Mine would crash at 7-8ish for a short nap in the chair then go to bed later. 7 is an early bedtime at that age, at least for our family.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler