hf1

Wide awake in the middle of the night!!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Wide awake in the middle of the night!!

Postby Annette » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:10 pm

Both of mine have gone to bed at 7pm from an early age and it has suited all of us. This morning being a work day, both decided to have a lie in until 7.30am which is just typical, they won't do that on a day I can enjoy the lie in :giggle: I think you have to find what is right for you and your family.

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:19 pm

If you pop her back in the cot does she cry or just shout LOL!!! Like Annette, I used to feed and put straight back into cot, returning if the shouting turned to crying but only to lie back down.

I'm sure like everything its just a phase but it is quite annoying :x I don't think 7 is too early especially if she is sleeping for a long amount of thime then not just a short nap.

My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby PoshMama » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:23 pm

at 8 months a baby doesn't shout LOL Maybe at 18 months.

IDK 12 hours to sleep for a BF baby esp in this heat seems an awful lot.

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:35 pm

PoshMama wrote:at 8 months a baby doesn't shout LOL Maybe at 18 months.

IDK 12 hours to sleep for a BF baby esp in this heat seems an awful lot.

I disagree, maybe 'shout' was the wrong term but I know that Zach always grumbled about going to sleep but the more stimulation he had in the room (i.e. patting,ssshhsssing) the longer it took and the grumblier he got. We left him to his grumbling but returned if he all out cried, he needed to wind down and still does.

Oh, and I wouldn't suggest a 12 hour spell all in one go (although I'm sure there are BF babies that do that), my advice is more about settling back off AFTER a feed rather than preventing the feed IYSWIM.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:30 am

PoshMama wrote:IDK 12 hours to sleep for a BF baby esp in this heat seems an awful lot.

All babies are different but an 8 month old needs about 14-15 hours of sleep in 24 hours. For many babies this is 11-12 hours at night and then 3-4 hours in daytime naps. Obviously it is unlikely a baby will sleep for 12 hours straight, although some do, but they can wake to feed and go back to sleep.

My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby PoshMama » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:39 am

IDK I've seen 3 naps are normal at 8 months (when my baby was 8 months everyone told me it was normal :giggle: )

12 hours does seem pretty long unless your feeding. My DD use to go 15-16 in a stretch but she nursed a lot in that time, just wasn't awake.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:42 am

PoshMama wrote:IDK I've seen 3 naps are normal at 8 months (when my baby was 8 months everyone told me it was normal :giggle: )

12 hours does seem pretty long unless your feeding. My DD use to go 15-16 in a stretch but she nursed a lot in that time, just wasn't awake.

I agree, Ben was having 3 daytime naps at 8 months - that is what I said, 3-4 hours in daytime naps

My avatar
Marion
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Marion » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:36 pm

Jasmin also went thru a phase of being wide awake in the middle of the night for up to 2 hours. i used to take her into the loungeroom and let her play, whilst i lay on the sofa. when she was tired she would cry and we would go back to her bedroom. think it lasted a few weeks.
i read the elizabeth pantley book, but i also kept a log of the foods she ate, and found that solid foods made her sleep much worse (waking often, and taking longer to go to sleep). some days when she :bf: only, she would sleep thru the night or wake only once. she wasn't ready for solid foods until she was 10.5 months, and i really wish i had waited till then to start blw. the no cry sleep solution for toddlers discusses foods that you shouldn't give close to bedtime
about going to sleep standing up, when jasmin was able to pull to standing in her cot, she wanted to :bf: standing up in her cot, then when she was ready she would lie down and go to sleep (and i would sneak out of the room). i found it a much better method than sitting in a chair and trying to carry her to the cot without waking her up. we still do it now at 20 months!
anway lots of :hug: sleep deprivation is horrible

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler