hf1

Feels odd/wrong...

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Feels odd/wrong...

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:43 pm

I'm not looking for an OTT AP response on this just want to vent I think...

Last week or so we've been putting Grace to bed at the same time as Isabelle as she was just cranky downstairs all evening and things like us typing, watching TV or talking kept waking/unsettling her when she slept in the pram and she won't sleep on us...
But I miss her and it feels odd and wrong not having her down here with me!
It feels WAY too early to be putting her to bed for the night!

She does settle and sleeps there until we come to bed at ten, and then since the weather got hot has been sticking to feeding every 3hrs whereas when we kept her down here with us she fed more throughout the evening as she kept being disturbed, but then slept 5-7hrs at a time...

So oh I don't know - it just feels odd!!

I have a very un-cuddly baby sometimes it seems!!!

I guess I should be celebrating that I have my evenings back but instead I miss my kids!

*sigh* Right - this nutter is off to finish the chores and go to bed...

My avatar
cherobanne
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Feels odd/wrong...

Postby cherobanne » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:48 pm

I know exactly what you mean Steph :hug:
Matthew didn't go upstairs to bed before us until he was much older (mostly because he was - still is! - a terrible sleeper)
Evie on the other hand, has always been a great little sleeper and seemed much happier going up to her own bed earlier in the evening. I do miss her though, esp as I'm usually here on my own while DH is working. She turned 6 months last week but I hate the thought of putting her into her own room already! Think I'll keep her in our room for a while yet.

My avatar
emmajayne33
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby emmajayne33 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:18 pm

:hug: I had to start putting Isaac upstairs for the same reason, he doesn't like sleeping on me unless I have him in the sling and am walking back and forth as soon as I sit down he grumbles :babyrolleyes: so I put him up in his moses basket after putting Abbie down. He is fine, I think he actually is happier up there, he's definitly more settled. It's just me who misses him :giggle: It's too quiet down here in the evenings!!!!

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:36 pm

:hug: I think it was around 4 months that we started putting Rhys up to bed in his moses basket in our room. Before that he'd been staying up with us and napping in his beanbag, but he started getting very grumpy and over tired and wouldn't sleep due to the stimulation of TV, us, etc... same reasons you've stated. I felt bad about it at first but it was the right thing for us, and for him I think, as he wasn't sleeping properly otherwise and a grumpy, tired baby isn't a happy baby IMO.

No advice really, just :hug: :hug:

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:53 pm

Well, you know Immy has been going to bed at the same time as Zach for a while now. Is it bad that I like to have my evening to myself, I can actually get things done if I need to whereas I struggle in the day as she catnaps which is what she did in the evenings too.

I think its better that she gets a good sleep as she isn't sleeping well in the daytime yet.

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:02 pm

I was putting the girls upstairs to bed at 8pm every night from the day I brought them home, and then into their own room from a couple of months old, into their own cots when they got a little squirmy...

I think it does them good to be honest and creates that 'bedtime' routine early and sets it in stone, therefore hopefully :wink: preventing issues in the future

:hug: though

jan x

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:42 am

JanX wrote:I was putting the girls upstairs to bed at 8pm every night from the day I brought them home, and then into their own room from a couple of months old, into their own cots when they got a little squirmy...

I think it does them good to be honest and creates that 'bedtime' routine early and sets it in stone, therefore hopefully :wink: preventing issues in the future

:hug: though

jan x

Similar to us, we started a bath and bedtime routine with Harriet from the day after we brought her home from hospital. She used to have a feed at 7pm and then used to sleep through until her next feed at 11pm. I fully intend to do the same with Trevor. I'm afraid I enjoy my evening space a bit too much :oops: :oops:

It's not for everyone though :hug: :hug: :hug: Steph

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby mabo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:53 am

:hug: :hug: Steph

I can sympathise - its hard having to let go of those newborn/small baby stages. I cant quite remember, but I do think that Anna was up in our room for bedtime relatively early too. I'm not sure what we're doing this time round as our house is so huge compared to our shoe-box in the UK.

But I agree with Jan too, that it helps them get used to that routine at nighttime.

Do you remember when you started putting Isabelle to bed upstairs? Could it be that there isnt much difference in age, but more that Grace seems much more baby-ish still than Isabelle now? I know I always struggle to think that Anna is actually as if not more mature as Joshua was at that age, as I remember his as being so big and grown-up when she was first born.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:44 am

Well Isabelle used to choke on her vomit so we didn't put her upstairs for ages - I think she was probably closer to 6/7months
And bing 6wks early she stayed baby-ish for longer, Grace seems to be going so much faster which I know happens with your 2nd anyway but knock off 6wks and it's flying!!!

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler