hf1

Too young for midsleeper? Intermediate solution found pg2

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Too young for midsleeper? Intermediate solution found pg2

Postby mabo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:21 pm

Anna will need a new bed in 3 months time as we didn't ship our crib when we moved out here and the baby will need her cot-bed. We have a very simple travelcot, but it doesnt have a base that can be moved up so its not really suitable for a newborn to sleep in, or me having to bend over to get the baby out just after giving birth etc...

Soooo... we're thinking of what to get her instead. We bought Joshua a new bed when we moved over as he used to sleep in the spare double bed in the UK and now has a nice mid-sleeper with storage underneath and a pull-out desk. It wasn't very expensive (actually by far the cheapest we could find at $500) but it will probably last him until his teens.
And we'd would like to get something similar - or at least something that will last her as long, but also has some storage availability etc. DH thinks a normal single bed would not be right as Joshua will have a far nicer bed :roll:

Here is a pic of Joshua's bed:
Do you think that 2.5 years is too young to be in something like that? Bearing in mind Anna is used to climbing up it now already, though she struggles to get down?

Joshua has his head where the steps are, if we bought this for Anna, I'd put her the other way round so that she is at less risk of falling out...
Last edited by mabo on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Too young for midsleeper?

Postby clothmama » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:32 pm

I think at 2.5 as long as you teach her how to come down carefully backwards she should be fine (I'm of the relaxed parent brigade!! :giggle: )I'm sure you can get slides that you can attach to beds like this too - that would be safe and oh so much fun (although you may need to get Joshua one too :giggle: )

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:39 pm

Hannah has the same basic bed as Josh and while Phebie can get up the ladder she cant get down either and I'd be worried she'd fall off and break something (just the kind of child she is LOL!) so she just got a normal single but it is a very pretty purple.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:47 pm

oh yes a slide one would be brill like Tory says

I am from the relaxed parent brigade too - you have all seen the video of Ben at the top of the slide! :giggle: I think 2.5 is plenty old enough, she would struggle to fall out of that and should be able to learn to climb down safely.

When we had Ben, we put Charlotte into a bed and I bought a full sized single with the same sort of theory - will last her years. She had a bedguard initially but by 2.5 we had put that away and she has only ever fallen out once and couldn't even remember in the morning :giggle:

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:54 pm

relaxed parent brigade here too!!
baileys 2 and he goes up and down his brothers bunk beds. slide sounds good too :giggle:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:01 pm

I know I probably sound like a over protective mother but Pheb really is accident prone and she gets on Hannahs bed and thinks its fun to jump on it and almost did fall off it just thank god Bren was standing beside her and caught her, a slide would be great I know hannah would love it.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:29 pm

What about a day bed? I'd have loved one of those as a little girl, and right up when I was a teenager too, I think they're very classic looking. And fit the bill for being a bit fancier than just a normal bed. You could get little drawers to slide under it too for storage.

Ikea have a couple of them, I like the white one best.

http://cebas.ikea.com.au/prod_template4 ... =3&Scat=11

http://cebas.ikea.com.au/prod_template4 ... =3&Scat=11

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:38 pm

I love the day beds too Mareth :D

I think it depends on Anna Marijke, if she is a bouncer like Evie then I wouldnt buy her one, but if you think she is capable of climbing up and down, and a slide sounds like great fun, then go for it!

My avatar
bryc1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby bryc1 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:40 pm

eviesmummy wrote:I think it depends on Anna Marijke, if she is a bouncer like Evie then I wouldnt buy her one, but if you think she is capable of climbing up and down, and a slide sounds like great fun, then go for it!

I agree Tash went into one similar at just over 2.5yrs but it will be a lot longer than that before I would trust Ty he is too much of a dare devil and a big wriggler at night.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler