hf1

ARGH!!!!

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

ARGH!!!!

Postby eviesmummy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:25 pm

Evie is starting to turn into a right handful, I am on my toes constantly with her and just now Ive put her to her bedroom as I asked her not to step on the computer lead again, so she jumped on it instead :evil:

I honestly didnt have any problems like this with the boys, we could take them out anywhere without fear of tantrums, they did as they were asked and if they misbehaved and I asked them to stop then they did. Evie is a different kettle of fish altogether, she doesnt get her own way and its a squealing match (and girls can bloomin scream :evil: ) and Im not sure whats the best way to get her to behave. We have the naughty step, where she spent 20 minutes yesterday squealing - every couple of minutes when I went to see her she squealed louder and had a paddy on the stairs until she decided she had had enough and then came in and announced 'Im happy now'.

She is so rough when compared to the boys, she is constantly walking along the back of the sofas, throwing the cushions off and wrecking things when Im not giving her full on attention - bar getting up and playing with her all day until she goes to bed, Im not sure what to do with her :-? Im quite strict and persistent, so she knows she wont get away with things, not sure what approach to take :-?

Any suggestions?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: ARGH!!!!

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:09 pm

Not sure I've got any suggestions as it sounds rather like Isabelle you're describing at times there... :?
That's like Isabelle at her worst and it's usually when she's fighting something off or coming down with something... :?

Does she have a space of her own to play in?

We have times when I do play with Isabelle and do nothing else, and times when she's expected to play on her own... It doesn't always work but provided I've spent SOME time playing with her then she's usually better at playing by herself later...

We do time out for things - I shut her in the lobby :giggle: :oops: until at least one of us has calmed down!...

Massive hugs...

Is she worse at any particular timess or does there not seem to be a pattern to it e.g. is it worse when you stay in/around the house all day?

Does she watch TV at all? I'm not a big fan of TV but sometimes it helps calm Isabelle down as she sits and watches (usually)...

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:31 pm

Hmmm, thinking hat on...

She is at her worst when she is tired, but then she is so cranky and tells us she is tired and ready for a sleep so I suppose that time isnt really an issue as we can deal with it easily. At the mo it seems that she is seriously pushing the boundaries, and trying to see how far she can go - which tbh isnt that far because she gets a warning if she misbehaves and then if she does it again (which 99% of the time she does) she gets put into time out which is the bottom step, until she calms down, which can take a while :roll:

She has her own bedroom, the playroom, the snug and her own messytable and chalkboard in the kitchen, and toys in each room, and a big box under the stairs too, so she has plenty of places to play, but seems to be happier demolishing the kitchen, ransacking the cupboards or bouncing on the beds. She will watch tv, but atm she is happier sitting on the kitchen table to watch it rather than sitting on a chair - she just has to be doing something she really shouldnt be :-?

She has great imaginative play, and can play by herself and feed her dollies, read books to her teddies, have tea parties and colour in etc,, but it doesnt last long before she wants to be at other things that she shouldnt be.

I dont know, perhaps she is just a rough 'un, and playgroup will give her more stimulation than she gets at the mo, or will it make her worse :shock: :-? :|

Argh, I thought I had ordered a pink fairy and I get a rough tomboy instead :roll: :lol:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:09 pm

I wish I could help, but I don't have any answers, just wanted to send some :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Sounds like Jak, he's been on the stairs at least 4 times today as he just WILL NOT LISTEN, or he point blank tells me NO, which really riles me, I'm hoping consistency is key, but it really doesn't seem to be helping, even with OH now on board too, I have found if I want him to do something and he doesn't want to then he'll say no just so he can go sit on the stairs, then sits screaming for 2 mins, comes back and the cycle starts again, so I'm really at a loss too!

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:42 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug: hopefully its just a phase and she will grow out of it soon :hug: sounds like you have a great setup for her there, as you say she is probably just pushing the boundaries and she'll learn eventually! Haven't really got any words of advice, but lots of :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Joaninha
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Joaninha » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:40 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:33 am

I don't have any magic answers either. Except perhaps you are right and she just needs the extra stimulation of playgroup.

Charlotte is very demanding, not because of doing things she shouldn't especially but because she is incapable (actually that is probably unwilling) to play on her own for any period of time so the day is often filled with lots of "come on Mummy get on the train" followed by "I'm too tired Charlotte and need a rest" followed by "here you are Mummy, here's some more energy" - if only :giggle:

Most of the time I don't mind but I would sometimes like a more independent child.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:21 pm

Annette wrote:Charlotte is very demanding, not because of doing things she shouldn't especially but because she is incapable (actually that is probably unwilling) to play on her own for any period of time so the day is often filled with lots of "come on Mummy get on the train" followed by "I'm too tired Charlotte and need a rest" followed by "here you are Mummy, here's some more energy" - if only :giggle:

Imagine the fortune someone could make if they could bottle a toddler's energy!! :wine:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:15 am

Phebie sounds similar, and with her behavour I've found (and it probably sounds stupid) that telling her something is better than asking and not giving her an option to be good, eg, "stop that NOW!" works so much better than "Phebie can you please stop doing that?" Even though thats not really how I like doing thing as I think its important for them to make the right choice for themselves.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler