hf1

ARGH!!!!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: ARGH!!!!

Postby Annette » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:24 am

I think you are dead right Beck. I find myself all to often asking Charlotte to do things when actually telling her is far more effective as she knows exactly where she stands then. If I ask nicely then she seems to feel she has a choice but telling her she knows what is required from her and doesn't need to think about it.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:48 am

Annette wrote:I think you are dead right Beck. I find myself all to often asking Charlotte to do things when actually telling her is far more effective as she knows exactly where she stands then. If I ask nicely then she seems to feel she has a choice but telling her she knows what is required from her and doesn't need to think about it.

I've noticed that recently actually - if I ask her to do something e.g. put your pants on please then she won't do it but if I TELL her to do it she's far more likely to do as she's told... I was thinking along the same lines that if I ask nicely she thinks there's a choice so says no or doesn't need to do it...

Bit tricky when we're trying to reinforce the 'please' message at the moment :roll:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:45 pm

I think that's an excellent point Beck, I also think keeping it short and simple helps too!

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:12 pm

eviesmummy, it sounds like my DD is a clone of yours! She is exactly the same. She'll pull all of her papers from her play table, and scatter them on the floor, tip the crayon box upside down, tip up her box of farm animals, then throw herself on her beanbag to watch Cars for the millionth time. She doesn't seem to like me having a semi clean living room! :hohoho:
We actually nicknamed her Dawn the Destroyer, because all she's seem to done from birth is break things! She broke my ex bfs iron when she was 3 months old! (She wasn't playing with it, lol, x-bf's mum was bathing her in the kitchen sink and DD splashed and covered the iron in water, but no-one noticed until the next day, when x-bfs mum went to iron and blew every fuse in the house :oops: )

But she seems to be a lot worse at the moment for tantrums. If you tell her "No!" she goes off on one, throwing a total paddy, throwing herself backwards to the floor, no matter what is behind her so I'm normally throwing myself around also trying to stop her hurting herself. Then she'll scream and scream and kick for what feels like hours. Nothing calms her down. I don't want to bribe her with sweeties, so I'll ask her if she wants a drink of juice, or if she wants Cars on the TV (I think she's in love with Lightening McQueen! :lol: ) and try and distract her. If that fails, then I totally ignore her. But she'll scream to the point that she's bright red, sweaty, red hot, and almost making herself sick!

My parents have suggested possibly talking to our Dr about it, but I don't want to seem like all those other 'young single mums' who seem to say their kids have some kind of abbreviation so they can get more benefits (My auntie is one of them sadly... My Dad actually says the kid has HSBC, instead of ADHD *chuckle*)

I also get to my wits end most days. I'm still on meds for PND which I'm guessing won't be helping things, but my mum thinks they DD is just testing the boundaries, as someone above me said.

I haven't really got any advice, sorry, but wanted to send e-hugs and let u know you're not alone! :hug:

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:56 am

Thanks everyone :)

Now, have to say she seems to have got over the naughty phase, just seemed to go almost overnight :wine: and I have my nice daughter back again which is lovely :) She can still wrestle with the boys, and dh has given her the nickname Smudge as she is never tidy, takes her hair down most of the time, takes off her shoes and socks, runs about in bare feet etc., etc., but her behaviour is just so much better and even when she makes a mess she will help tidy up now and the screaming has stopped - phew!

So it was a phase, not a nice one, but it has gone by :wine:

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler