Anyone's baby had the baby BCG?

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Anyone's baby had the baby BCG?

Postby indigosky2k » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:09 am

Hi everyone :idea:
I thought I'd ask you lovely ladies your opinion on this as I really don't know what to do
I live in a part of Manchester with a high ethinc mix and it is regular practice to give babies the baby BCG vaccine for TB. This is apparantly as we live in a high risk area due to the ethnic mix, particularly lots of Africans. I know from working at the local hospital that this is very true and there is a high incidence of the mutant strain of TB that is resistant to antibiotics.
However, they wanted to give Kacie the jab on Monday, when she is going for her 12 week jabs 3 days later. I have refused this point blank and plan on discussing it with my HV today. I will not put my tiny baby through that! The BCG is a nasty injection, even the first HV I saw admitted that, but apparantly they don't give it in school any more at 11, which is when I had it, so I'm not sure when else she would get it.
So my question is really, have any of your babies had it so young, if they have how were they effected by it and if not when have they had it or will be having it?

My avatar
emmajayne33
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Anyone's baby had the baby BCG?

Postby emmajayne33 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:25 am

My babies have never had it, I always assumed it was one you got at school. I'd have been mad too if they put Isaac in for 2 jabs in such a short period of time.
:hug: hope someone is more helpful than me :)

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:28 am

BCG isn't a nasty injection at all! It doesn't go into the muscle the same way normal jabs do - it just goes in under the skin... Grace didn't even cry and believe me she screamed the place down for her other jabs!!!

I'm the only one out of myself, DH, Isabelle and Grace that hasn't had the BCG and my MW was most suprised! But they just didn't do it where I was born and they don't vaccinate adults now...

Neither Grace nor Isabelle have been bothered by it in the slightest... You can get a bit of a blister a few weeks down the line but neither of mine did...

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:03 am

They dont immunise for TB in Australia. From what Steph says I'd go for it.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:27 am

They do it at birth (well, in the mat. hospitals) here. Coming from the UK where that wasn't standard when I was there, I didn't get Rhys done immediately and the MWs were shocked and made me feel bad about it. I just wanted more time to think about it. Rhys did get them (they do 2 jabs here for some reason) at about 3 weeks though in the local clinic.

It's not a horrible injection to get, Rhys didn't complain at all, however about 2 weeks later, when I'd totally forgotten about the jabs, he got 2 massive boils on his arm which stayed a good while, they went eventually and left the usual BCG type scar that most of us know. Not particularly nice to see on a tiny perfect baby (well, perfect if you ignore his dodgy feet and fingers :giggle: ), but not the end of the world I suppose.

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:33 am

Well I've asked on another board too and someone there has said their LO's were done in hospital after they were born and again I don't think I'd have minded that. It's not so much that I mind her having it as the fact they want her to have it done now when she's got her main ones to have. I want her to have her 12 and 16 week jabs out of the way now, before I inflict her with any more. And I know the immunisation itself is not bad, but it does leave a scar and hurts when it's done. TBH it porobably would have been better if she'd had it in hospital.
Oh well I'll see what the HV says later and hopefully they'll be OK with her having it around the 6 month mark.
Thanks girls.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:35 am

indigosky2k wrote: but it does leave a scar and hurts when it's done.

Hasn't left a scar on either of my girls nor did it hurt either of them!

Also it doesn't cause a 'reaction' in the same way the other jabs do, it doesn't affect the immune system in the same way so no feeling under the weather or high temp etc...

My avatar
Joaninha
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Joaninha » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:14 am

I would probably put off the other vax, rather than the bcg, tbh...

Both my boys had it, and Lucas was in the sling and never even noticed it... His though, did have a reaction, and he has a scar, but I think I was more bothered about it than he was... :roll:

The other vax are good to do, but I know that we didn't do ours bang on schedule and it doesn't seem to have affected the boys... Hope you find a solution you are happy with! :hug:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:07 am

They don't do it here. x

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler