hf1

Circumcision

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Circumcision

Postby beck » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:40 am

I'm not sure if this has brought up on here before but cant remember or find anything.

Anyway I'm really stuck on whether or not to get our baby boy circumcised. All the new info about it lowering the risks of different diseases and such has me leaning towards doing it but then I cant help but worrying does it REALLY need doing iykwim.

Whats everyones opinions??

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:45 pm

i have had both my boys circumsised for religious reasons,
i was told that it does lower some risks very slightly, but if it hadn't been for religious reasons i wouldn't have done it.
for the record tho, Taneli never had a second of even discomfort from it, he shouted for a mo til he was in my arms and then fine from then on in, and healed very very quick, Boo on the otherhand seemed very very bothered, and took a lot of comforting and was bothered for close to a week after.
dont think that will help you, but wanted to give an honest account
shevi

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:14 pm

I don't think it is something that anyone over here really considers. If I have a boy I doubt I would even contemplate it as I don't think I would like to do anything that wasn't necessary iyswim.

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:52 pm

:shock: have to admit the thought had never even crossed my mind...

I've never heard of it being done either (except for religious reasons).

jan x

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:56 am

I wouldn't bother Beck unless it is for a medical reason (as in he needs it doing!!). Can't see the point in putting them through unnecessary pain, unless like Shevi its part of your culture / religion.

For the record in Australia back in the '70's it was very strongly recommended by the doctors as they believed that it was easier to keep clean in our hot climate. From what I understand they now know that is not the case so it is not done as much. As a result I'd never seen a foreskin til I was in my 20's :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :twisted:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:05 am

The only problem I have now is that I dont want to get it done - he's so little and innocent :( but now Brendan does :evil:

I'm thinking if I just dont bring it up or actively look into it William will be 6 months old and to old to get it done, a little sneaking but.........

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:32 am

beck wrote:The only problem I have now is that I dont want to get it done - he's so little and innocent :( but now Brendan does :evil:

I'm thinking if I just dont bring it up or actively look into it William will be 6 months old and to old to get it done, a little sneaking but.........

I'm assuming that it's because he has it done that he wants his son too as well? I remember reading an article about that. Maybe try to find a whole load of info about why it's not necessary and maybe some pictures or something to turn him off if he brings it up again?

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:16 am

clothmama wrote:For the record in Australia back in the '70's it was very strongly recommended by the doctors as they believed that it was easier to keep clean in our hot climate. From what I understand they now know that is not the case so it is not done as much. As a result I'd never seen a foreskin til I was in my 20's :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :twisted:

The fist one I saw 'in the flesh' so to speak was David and I thought, gee you have the extra bit, how does that work - so I was a lot older than 20 and he isn't an Aussie.
I can also understand a dad wanting his boy to look like him down there.

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:46 am

clothmama wrote:I'm assuming that it's because he has it done that he wants his son too as well? I remember reading an article about that. Maybe try to find a whole load of info about why it's not necessary and maybe some pictures or something to turn him off if he brings it up again?

Thats one reason but he also saw a 60minute program that was on recently about it and they went on about how much more hyginic and safer it is and the STD link. Also when they interviewed a mother whose son had to be 'done' at the age of 10 because of compliations and that really scared Bren I think - iykwim.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler