hf1

Using a dummy - help please

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Using a dummy - help please

Postby Allie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:42 am

I'm seriously considering getting Dexter a dummy as he's been particularly difficult to settle over the past week and i'm getting desperate and stressed :oops: . I never needed one for Harriet so I've no experience of them at all. Do/did you use one for your lo? When do you use it? Did you find it difficult to "wean" them off it when they reached toddlerhood? What type should I get?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm really undecided and need help

Thanks

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Using a dummy - help please

Postby mabo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:08 am

We used them for both Joshua and Anna but not for very long. Joshua quickly showed us that the way to get him to sleep was to put him on his front, so we decided to that from about 9-10 weeks :oops: Then as he got a bit older he actually got attached to a Miffy comforter blanket and used to suck on one of the knots instead, but he soon outgrew that phase too.
And Anna found her thumb at about 10 weeks which made a big difference as she could settle herself back to sleep. Before that I remember spending many times leaning over her crib holding the dummy in as it would drop out when she started to fall asleep and then she'd wake up again :roll:

We only ever gave them the dummy at bed/naptime though so as soon as they were awake it was not given to them to keep them quiet.
For Joshua we got the Tommee Tippee Orthodontic ones but for Anna we used the flat ones as the orthodontic ones were just too big for her.

Good luck! :hug:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:32 pm

Both Grace and Isabelle have had them - Grace still has hers...
Only ones my girls would accept were the tomy tippee cherry shaped ones which aren't recommended but Isabelle gave hers up around 11months...
Honestly I wouldn't be without one - 90% of the time it settles Grace quickly off to sleep and she spits it out once she's properly asleep...

Some babies are just sucky babies and need to suck to soothe themselves - I've also been told that if they've pressure in the brain it helps balance it out...

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:48 pm

Charlotte had one, we just used it for naps and bedtime and she gave it up herself when she discovered she could suck her fingers. Can't remember exactly when, maybe 6 months. I tried desperately to get Ben to take a dummy, as Steph says some babies are sucky babies and Ben definately was, he would have stayed attached to me all day if he could have (alot to do with his reflux I think) but he refused point blank to take a dummy no matter how often or which type I tried. The saving grace with him was that he discovered he could suck his thumb from about 3 months and we know he is tired when it goes in his mouth - he has made it sore and infected before from sucking it so much!

Good luck, it might be trial and error to see which one he likes, there are so many available. He will probably spit it straight back out to begin with and can take some perseverence.

I would actually prefer Charlotte to still have the dummy, at least I could take it away! She tells me she doesn't suck her fingers anymore as the dentist told her not to (she obviously took note) but as soon as she is tired or emotional, in they go :evil:

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:44 pm

Thanks ladies, i've been out and bought the tommy tippee orthodontic ones which i'll try out later. It may not be the answer but I have to try something. He is a very sucky baby so fc this will work. I only intend to use at bedtime hopefully as he settles better during the day (at the moment anyway :-? ).

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:57 pm

Isobella has the same ones, she is i think a sucky baby so finds great comfort in them. In my opinion if your baby is soothed by a dummy then why not? Don't feel bad about it though. I know im a bit of a newbie and so don't know how we will wean izzy off hers but will cross that bridge when we come to it :hohoho:

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:16 pm

I swear by dummies - Jasmine's had them for bed since she was about 5 months old, and has them for all nap times too. I'm pretty strict about her not having one if she isn't in bed, though, unless she's ill or I want to keep her happy (e.g. on long car journeys). She adores her dummies and has used them to put herself back to sleep since I first gave them to her. We put 5 in her cot now so if she wakes she can easily find one.

I will consider reducing her useage soon, but I am so glad we introduced them.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:20 am

Frances wrote:We put 5 in her cot now so if she wakes she can easily find one

:giggle: :giggle: dh used to say we should put it on a piece of elastic hanging from the ceiling so Charlotte could find it. It can be a downside of a dummy - if they lose it you sometimes need to do the "dummy run"

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:27 am

We bought some dummy holders, which clip onto clothes and have a short piece of fabric attached to the dummy - not long enough to go round the neck. Very useful once they get to the age where they can find the dummy themselves and have somehow managed to chuck all the ones you put in the cot out. yes, we've had that A LOT, but I wouldn't put her to bed without a dummy *shudder*

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler