hf1

Are cot bumpers safe at any age?

My avatar
homeinheart
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Are cot bumpers safe at any age?

Postby homeinheart » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:57 am

Wow! I had never heard of not using bumpers...I've had them in all 4 of my childrens beds. I actually just removed them from my twins beds yesterday, but only because they were starting to pull on them. Wow, learn something new all the time. I think I would still use them if I had another child :oops:

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Are cot bumpers safe at any age?

Postby gayleygoo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:23 pm

Ive heard a lot of conflicting advice about them - some sources say not to use them for under 3 month olds, some say not to use them once they can sit up or roll over, and other say not to use them at all!! Confusing!

I think the risk around newborns is that they *might* contribute to over heating if the baby's head or face is squashed against them, and older ones could pull them off and get tangled or something. You can get some that have poppers or velcro instead of ties but id imagine these would be easier to pull off...

I think its really upto yourself - if your LO would benefit from cot bumpers then as long as they're securely fastened then they shouldnt be a problem at all. And if the room isnt too warm and you're not using tons of blankets then overheating is probably unlikely too. (How much difference is there between a cot bumper and a moses basket anyway??) Lots of people use them and if I'd ever bought any (just never got round to it!) id probably still be using them as DD likes to sleep with her head against the bars :roll:

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler