hf1

Bed Clothes?

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Bed Clothes?

Postby indigosky2k » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:40 pm

I'm trying to get to the bottom of Kacie's unsettled nights. After sleeping through from quite a young age she is now quite unsettled at night. She is crying a lot, though not really waking up and setting back quickly, usually with the dummy.
I've come up with 2 thoughts, will post about the other in Breast Feeding when I get another mo.

My thought for here is that she is getting chilly. We live in a second floor flat, that has the sun all day (when we have any :roll:) and seems to store heat from the flats downstairs too. However, when we put Kacie in the cot we had to put her near the window, which I have to have open a crack or else I can't breathe. She sleeps in a vest and babygro at the moment and I have a cot sheet doubled and a cellular blanket over her. She is close to growing out of her babygros again, so I'm wondering what to get. I think some sleeping bags may be a good idea, but don't know what TOG to get as our room is close to 80 degrees and even in the winter doesn't really drop much below 70. Last night I put an extra blanket over her at 1am and she seemed to sleep much better after that, but then had kicked all the bedding off by 5am because she was too warm.

Anyway, waffleing aside, I was wondering if people think Kacie getting cold could be attributing to her being unsettled? And just wanting some ideas as to what people find works for them bedding wise? If you use sheets and blankets how many you use?

Will post my other thought in Breast Feeding after lunch.
TIA

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Bed Clothes?

Postby jan3182001 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:44 pm

my lo has to sleep next to the window too - and it does get draughty esp in the early hours .
she also wont leave any covers on at all - screams and throws them off even if shes asleep when i cover her up.

just now she's sleeping in a vest, pyjama top and longies unless its very hot then it'll be shorties and a top.
as it gets cooler she'll wear a fleece waistcoat and then when really cold and cardigan instead.

dont know about the sleeping bags as i dont use them

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:33 pm

Iris has always gone to bed in a sleeping bag; she's just too much of a wriggler to keep sheets and blankets on. At the moment, we use a 1.0 tog Grobag; she goes to bed in a short sleeve tshirt and either shorties or a soaker. As it gets cooler, she'll wear a non-poppered vest, long sleeve tshirt and longies, all topped off with a 2.0 tog Grobag. Grobags come with a thermometer and suggestions of what to wear at what temperature, which is kinda handy to have. :)

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Thankyou Moderators :)

Postby Allie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:30 pm

Harriet used to have a 2 tog sleeping bag all year round and Dexter seems to be fine with a 2 tog too. I have loads of sleeping bags and would be happy to send you one to try before you buy one :D

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:50 am

we always use more blankest than recomended as he feels the cold i always think go by baby rather than thermometer as i feel the cold and always have at leats a 13.5 tog quilt and if i feel real cold a blanket too even in summer :oops:

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:53 am

my youngest 2 have sleeping bags 2.5 tog i think? as they always throw the blankets everywhere so they are a lifesaver! and baileys bed is under the window too :D

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:30 pm

Think we're going to go down the sleeping bag route. I ended up half swaddling her last night as wriggle bum theat she is she'd got no covers on an hour after going to bed and was freezing.

scrunchkins wrote:Harriet used to have a 2 tog sleeping bag all year round and Dexter seems to be fine with a 2 tog too. I have loads of sleeping bags and would be happy to send you one to try before you buy one :D

Thanks Allie, but someone beat you too it, so I'm getting one to try soon. If they work and you've got any girly ones you want to sell though I might be interested :wink:

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Thankyou Moderators :)

Postby Allie » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:47 pm

indigosky2k wrote:
Thanks Allie, but someone beat you too it, so I'm getting one to try soon. If they work and you've got any girly ones you want to sell though I might be interested :wink:

I probably do, i'll have a look. Hope they work for you as they really are fab :D

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:25 pm

sleeping bags have togs so you know exactly what your getting, izzy sleeps extremely well in hers, before that we swaddled. i think it may help her feel secure. Right so If its very hot and sticky she sleeps just in her nappy, although thats only happened for 1 week this summer. If it hot she sleeps in a vest and a 1 tog sleeping bag(sainsbury have got some really lovely ones!) if its cool a babygro and 2.5 tog bag.

I do like them as there is no kicking the cover off or wriggling under them. :wink:

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler