hf1

Cutlery - push nursery?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:26 pm

Thanks guys, I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking as I do!

I think I need to talk to the nursery again as since they've been "encouraging" her to use a knife and fork she's gone off eating at home!

I think it's partly because there are some pushy parents of the toddlers in her room who want their LOs to eat "nicely" and so the staff then have to try and encourage them all to eat the same way or they'll copy the messiest most fun looking method and just do that...

From what one of the girls said they actually make her do it - say "we don't use our hands Isabelle" and 'help' her which I actually think is quite out of order... And could be why she's wanting me to feed her at home which I've not really done (aside from yogs) since she was about 8months so it's really disappointing to be going backwards!

When they first mentioned it I indicated that I didn't want them to do it, but I didn't lay the law down and so they've just ignored me and done their own thing (as usual) so I think I need to have a talk to them tomorrow...

You all talk much sense, spoon and fork are fine and she does ok with them but resorts to fingers (well don't we use our fingers too for some foods?) when frustrated...

She does have a baby knife at home, and plays with cutting stuff up but unless you've got adult hand-eye-strength-etc coordination unless you are a very exceptional toddler you're not going to manage it...

I think knowing I'm not alone in thinking the way I do really helps, I'm quite happy for them to encourage her to eat nicely but not to physically interfere (but perhaps I misunderstood what she was saying)...

I think perhaps the nursery would like me to encourage her to eat this way but bu99er that she has one routine at nursery and a totally different more relaxed one at home which suits us fine and we'll stick with that...
I really do have a very relaxed attitude to food and ways of eating at home as a)she's 19months(!!) and b)I don't want it to become and 'issue' as far as possible...

Phew! Ramble over...

Ahhhhhhhhhh such a relief to read your posts!!! Thankyou soooo much...

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:08 pm

Hope your talk with the nursery goes well.

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler