hf1

Teeth cleaning

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Teeth cleaning

Postby Annette » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:02 pm

Charlotte isn't a big fan of cleaning her teeth at the moment so I just wondered how other people were getting on in this area.

I am not overly concerned and trying not to make a big deal about it - things improved slightly when we got a little step so she can stand at the sink with us and copy us but just lately she has been clamping her mouth shut and there is no way you could get a brush in there! She won't even do it hereself anymore which she had started to - I thought perhaps her teeth were hurting a bit and maybe putting her off.

Anyway just curious what other toddlers of a similar age are like with teeth cleaning? And whether anyone has any magic tips for encouraging good teeth cleaning habits for the future?

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:18 pm

No way I can brush Erin's teeth, she has to do it, which probably isn't the best but she gets better at it each week and I'd rather that then her refusing completely iykwim.

I would say it's probably her teeth if she was ok before. TBH I wouldn't push it too much or she'll get a bad association with it.

Sometimes Erin really digs her heals with things unless she thinks it was her idea! SO if for example she didn't want to brush her teeth I would put some toothpaste on her brush and put the brush down but in her reach and get on with brushing mine! She'd soon do it!

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:34 pm

we brush teeth in bath usually, and both of them are quite happy to let me have a turn, and then them...but i used to be a nasty mummy and wrap them in a towel and lie them on my lap with their little arms all swaddled!!!

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:39 pm

I let Georgia brush her own, but I like to get in and make sure they are getting a good brushing. If she has my toothbrush to brush my teeth I can always get in to do hers at the same time :lol: :lol:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:40 pm

karenandgeorgia wrote:I let Georgia brush her own, but I like to get in and make sure they are getting a good brushing. If she has my toothbrush to brush my teeth I can always get in to do hers at the same time :lol: :lol:

I like that idea, I might give that a try tomorrow, see how we get on.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:45 pm

Variable here... Way we usually get around it is give her a brush to do ours with while we do hers!
Also we vary who does them but if she's not even letting the brush in I'm mean and make her open her mouth - yes lots of screaming and sometimes not worth the hassle so I don't but it depends what she's eaten that day!

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:40 pm

Lockie has always been pretty good with teeth brushing. I sing the song from cbeebies while I'm doing it and he thinks that is hilarious. Reminds me I must get a brush for Zac's two new teeth. :lol:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:57 am

Well it is working. I had to go and buy a new toothbrush as ours is electric and far too distracting to try to share the brushing! So I got a bog standard one and for the last couple of days we have been brushing each other's teeth. And I have been able to do a really good job of it too. SO hooray.

Return to Baby and Toddler