hf1

When did your LOs learn...

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

When did your LOs learn...

Postby dawnsmummy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:02 pm

...to count to 4, name blue, pink, purple and green correctly (she gets black and white mixed up :giggle: ), name circles and triangles, name a zoo worth of animals (she even guessed animals right from their shadows, on MMCH, when I got it wrong!!!) and also understand the "Mine" "Yours" concept?
My mum says she's above her age, but I don't have anyone to compare her to :)

You can say to her "Is that your juice?" she'll say yes, then you ask her "Who's juice is it?" and she says "Mine!"
And the opposite way around for my juice. I asked who's it is and she says "Yours"

ETA: She can count to 10 with a little help also...

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: When did your LOs learn...

Postby jan3182001 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:07 pm

she does sound like her language skills are advanced for her age - but it all evens out in the end -

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:26 pm

thanks jan. not worried or anything, just wondered if mum was being ott or not :giggle:

shes spent the last week asking for jaynes little girl, and my cousins oh taught her to say "heather stinks" to my cousin :roll:

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:20 am

I don't think you can compare with a first child really as they are always going to "be ahead", you have all your time to devote to them. First children always (unless there is a hearing or other medical reason) always seem to be ahead. Kieran could talk for Britain and was very advanced for is age verbally but wasn't interested in writing etc, Anna on the other hand talked later but could write her name perfectly and extremely neatly by age 2, Gracie on the other hand seems "much slower" but she misses nothing, follows commands, knows exactly what she is doing and what we are saying. I have just decided in the past 2 days (thanks Steph) to do sign language with her and after only 3 or 4 "showings" did the sign for please today. With her shape sorter she gets circle and square right. Like Jan says it all evens out in the end as they each do different things at different ages xxxxxxxx

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:32 am

Baby signing. That's another thing mum and dad thought was stupid do I never did properly... Sigh.

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:43 pm

dawnsmummy wrote:Baby signing. That's another thing mum and dad thought was stupid do I never did properly... Sigh.

waving bye bye is a sign everyone does
so even just a couple of signs between the two of you can be useful - i pat the bottom when changing a dirty nappy - it doesnt take long for them to do it back to tell you

just cause you might not use the 'official' signs dosnt mean it wont work for you two

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:09 pm

She does seem advanced in somethings, Ben doesn't talk much at all, but understands a lot and I can tell he is a very logical how does this work and what can it do type of person. He does some of his own signs, but it's not something I have 'taught' him even though I did go on a signing course, just he started indicating and gesturing. All children are so different. However he does also understand an awful lot and understands and responds to commands - so when an adult told him and another child to wait the other day in a corridor they both stood perfectly still, she was in shock, but didn't realise that is the same word I use and it means stand still for safety at the top of the stairs or on the pavement of a very busy road.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:59 pm

Molly is quite advanced with her language too - she's been able to count to ten, name most colours and shapes, and understand relatively size ("thats the baby one, and thats the big one" etc) since she was about 20 months, and can now form fairly long sentences ("I get my pink coat on and we can go in the pram and then go to the park, on the swings!" was one she said this morning :giggle: ) Its great that we can have a proper conversation with her!

However, at the same time she is now just beginning to be more active, and gain social, co-ordination, and motor skills that I've seen one year olds at toddler group do much better than herself! She is shy around others (besides her family) and not great at running, climbing, balancing etc (lol, just like her mummy! :giggle: ), and has never been interested in building blocks or games that require hand dexterity. She is starting to get more confident in these things now so while I think she is advanced in one thing, by the time she gets to school she will probably be of the same ability as most of other children. Toddlers are all different and choose to learn different things at different times, but mostly they balance out in the end :D

I've never used "proper" baby signing things, but we have our own words and phrases and things we do that indicate what is expected of her, or what's going to happen. All mums know the little things their toddlers do :wink: it doesn't need an actual course in it!

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:27 pm

sam has only a few words- woof woof, taz, moo, ya-ya /(charlie) mama, brother etc but fully understands most things :D henry on the other hand could hold a whole adult conversation and tell you the whole life cycle of a sting ray and everything there is to know about thunderbirds at 18 months :giggle: (not sure if was his autism though)they are all v different and as sam will amlost certainly be my last baby i am in no hurry for him to grow up whereas with henry i was always looking for the next stage :-?

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler