hf1

Discipline (right word?)

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Discipline (right word?)

Postby twinkletot » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:02 pm

Ds is 20 months and of course he gets into TONS of mischief but sometimes there are thing he does that are totally unacceptable. For exapmle throwing his drink at the TV, then again and again when told no and removed. What would you do? I tried the naughty step but I think he is just a little young for understanding this just yet. It was a game to see how far he could get before i put him back with lots of laughing from his side :roll: . I am struggling to think of other ways, funny considering I have been taught behaviour management at work :shock: .

My avatar
mookiemoo
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: Discipline (right word?)

Postby mookiemoo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:29 pm

could you give him his drinks in a covered cup with a spout so that the drink doesn't go everywhere ?

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:45 pm

It is in a covered straw cup :shock: . Mind you when he throws it hard enough the lid comes right off which he thinks is hilarious :roll: He just lobs the whole thing!!!

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby becsom » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:00 pm

I'm having a few 'issues' with Nell at the moment being a bit of a bruiser - she hits everyone (including me, DH and her big sis) and thinks it's a big game when I tell her off.

I think it's partly my fault for being less strict with her than I was with DD1 and I have laughed a few times when she's been getting into full-on wrestling with her sister :oops: :oops:

I suppose the only thing you can do is try to maintain telling him 'No' in a firm voice while making same-level eye contact with him (so he knows you're serious) and hope that he understands eventually. I agree he's a bit young for a 'naughty step' but I don't know, maybe moving him away from whatever the 'naughty' thing he is doing might help him understand too??

My avatar
emmajayne33
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby emmajayne33 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:06 pm

This is what I do when Abbie is being naughty, if for example she were throwing a cup at the TV, I would get down at her level, tell her that throwing the cup at the TV isn't very nice and could be dangerous, and not to do it again. If she then did it again, I'd get down to her level, take the cup off her, explain why, (I've taken the cup from you because you ignored what Mummy said, I aksed you to not throw the cup at the TV and you did it again). This works for us...

It's really tricky when they are that young because they don't understand everything, I find, for us the key is consistency. Kids like to push you, so they can see where the boundaries are... and then they seem to like to push the boundaries too ... :roll: :giggle: :hug:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:45 pm

I really don't know. I am having similar problems - Ben is quite a bit younger but just as mischievous and he just giggles when we try to use a naughty step or anything.

All we can do is take the thing away and tell him firmly no - he understands because then he throws himself on the floor and kicks his legs :giggle:

My avatar
Joaninha
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Joaninha » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:00 pm

We have the same type of issues. With Jaime we always gave him a warning, and if he ignored it, he got sat down on the floor (none too gently, sometimes) and held down for the count of ten. this gave him an idea of how serious we were, a time to cool our hot temper, and allowed us to remove him from what was the issue in the first place. It must have worked, because, these days we simply ask if we need to count to ten... and he hops to it! :giggle: I need to enforce it more with Lucas, but it does work!

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:57 pm

Thanks :) . I shall keep going with 'no' and 'stop' but maintain eye contact while doing so as I do forget rather a lot :oops: . I will keep going with our 1,2,3 warning system too as he knows this, unfortunately to the point that he looks at me and say's '1' while holding up 1 finger when he knows it's coming :shock: :babyrolleyes: .

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:24 pm

We have been using time out with Benjamin for months, by 20 months he knew what it was all about, now sometimes if we say NO he will sit on the floor and cry incase he is going to have time out. Just because they can't talk properly in Ben's case doesn't mean he doesn't understand IMO. I'm not saying Ben is well behaved far from it, very challenging but can also be very sneaky as well. Even when they get to 10 to 12 months and start doing something unwanted I will put a child on the floor say No and then give them a cuddle afterwards.

Return to Baby and Toddler