hf1

Biting, please help

My avatar
moonfruit
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Biting, please help

Postby moonfruit » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:37 pm

Lottie has started to bite. Mainly Will and Teddy but also me occasionally. The problem is she is getting really nasty, poor Will and Teddy are covered in bite marks, heaven knows what the HV will think when they next visit. I have tried telling her off, putting her away from us at the other end of the room, I even shouted today. Any ideas? I really am at the end of my tether. The problem is, Will is so gentle, he won't fight back and Teddy is too small. It is getting to the point where I worry about going for a toilet break!

TIA, Lisa

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Biting, please help

Postby Annette » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:29 am

I have no suggestions I am afraid but wanted to let you know, you are not alone. Ben has had a habit of biting for a while now - it does seem to go in phases though, recently we went weeks without worrying about it but then this week he has bitten a couple of times at nursery and tried to bite at home. I wonder if it is to do with teething as it comes and goes :-?

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:07 pm

Lili occasionally bites or squeezes (her whole body shakes, it's actully quite funny :giggle:), but like our tomcat, she doesn't bear down hard enough to really hurt - it's more a warning/expression of displeasure than an actual desire to do harm, so although I'm not exactly delighted, I'm not so worried about it.

Corum went through quite a nasty a biting phase when he was about 3, though, and was doing it at nursery as well, which was definitely not cool. I'm sure some people on here will be horrified, but DH cured it fairly instantly by biting him back (hard). I guess whether you think that approach might work depends on whether you think she'd be able to understand the concept of "this is what you're doing to other people, see how unpleasant it is, you need to stop" and not just think "ow, you hurt me and I don't understand why" (at 3 Corum did, but I'm not sure Lili would at 22 months). Presumably you've explained to her countless times that it's not nice and not acceptable behavior, but if words are having no effect I'd say some more drastic action is necessary - you do need to protect your other LOs. :-?

My avatar
fleur08
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby fleur08 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:13 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug:
whats her speech like?
my son did the same at about this age, hv said it was probably down to frustration as he refused to talk.
i bore the brunt of it, and they were real bites & sometimes i had to hold his nose to make him let go, i suppose it carried on for 18 months, gradualy getting better.

all i can offer is sympathy as i know how hard it is when you have a chomper!

we had a few incidences at toddler group aswell, :oops: i felt awful, poor kids leaving with bite marks.

what i found best was to tell him that biting wasnt accepted, then to turn my back and completly ingore him, walk away. leave the room if safe to, slowly she should start to reason that you really dont approve.
hth x

Return to Baby and Toddler