hf1

EC'ing

My avatar
jennyjanesharp
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

EC'ing

Postby jennyjanesharp » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:18 am

Ok, So i've meant to post this for a while now, but keep forgetting.

I was wondering what people's views are on EC'ing? (Elimination communication : http://www.tribalbaby.org/ECindex.html

To me... it makes complete sense up until a point! I have put Alice on the potty since 3 months old, and she now waits for her daily poo until i put her on the pot, she gives me sounds ques too of course! The other day she waited a whole hour to have her poopy :D . Sometimes she has a little wee, but that is where ec'ing baffles me - is it actually possibly to always 'catch' you LO when they need a wee? (She just had her morning wee!)

I'm thinking noooo! There are obviously a LOT of modern factors getting in the way of this techique, mainly our busy lives, and child care. I spoke to my future child minder about putting alice on the pot when she needs a poo, and she said it wouldn't be very good health and safety :shock: Honestly. I CAN understand where she's coming from with alice being on the pot, and looking ater 1 possibly 2 other children, but what would she do with older children????

Is it simply easier to let the child 'do it' in their nappy????

Also - I can understnd the point of view of having more than one child!!!! I am very aware that just having alice atm, is VERY easy!!!!
Last edited by jennyjanesharp on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
alwaysagirly
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: EC'ing

Postby alwaysagirly » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:25 am

My hv suggested it to me when she found out I was using cloth :shock: Apparently she had a mum who sucessfully used it, I'm not convinced tho.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:25 am

It is Elimination Communication and the key is all about understanding when your lo is communicating their needs to you. I love the idea and do believe it works - some cultures do this naturally. But having said that, I selfishly do not have the time or the patience to do it.

I know someone who has now done it with 2 children - full time. She carries a little pot with her whenever she goes anywhere and both children were "trained" by 18m (difficult to decide when this happens as they never wear nappies but this is when they started to go to the potty independently if you like"

She slings her children and says that this is a very important thing with EC as it allows you to be close to them all the time and understand their signals.

It is very commendable but not something I would be tempted to do. It is the truly eco way though :wink:

My avatar
jennyjanesharp
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby jennyjanesharp » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:42 am

whoops, elimination control - Bad morning! :roll:

My avatar
alwaysagirly
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby alwaysagirly » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:11 am

sounds like a lot of hard work, I wonder what happens when the child needs to be looked after by someone else? Can you imagine getting a nursery to agree to it? Highly commendable to those that do it tho

My avatar
mamaellie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mamaellie » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:26 am

I don't do this because I, too, don't have the patience and I would worry about nighttime and daytime sleeps (we dont bed share), but I can see it working. I definitely know mine gives certain physical cues when she's going.

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:42 am

We EC part-time. It's not all or nothing. :)

If you AP, do BLW or breastfeed on cue then you already know how to EC. Just follow your baby's signs. DS2 sits on the potty when he wakes up in the morning (usually completely fills it) and again at various points during the day when we are in. He wears a nappy if we go out in the car (the motorway is not a good place to stop for a wee) and overnight just in case (although his nappy is usually dry in the morning). It's not hard work at all. :)

I love my cloth nappies and don't want to give them up completely but this way I have less laundry to do and my nappies stay in great condition.

My avatar
jennyjanesharp
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby jennyjanesharp » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:54 am

nappynutter wrote:We EC part-time. It's not all or nothing. :)

If you AP, do BLW or breastfeed on cue then you already know how to EC. Just follow your baby's signs. DS2 sits on the potty when he wakes up in the morning (usually completely fills it) and again at various points during the day when we are in. He wears a nappy if we go out in the car (the motorway is not a good place to stop for a wee) and overnight just in case (although his nappy is usually dry in the morning). It's not hard work at all. :)

I love my cloth nappies and don't want to give them up completely but this way I have less laundry to do and my nappies stay in great condition.

totally agree - very easy if you're in tune - AND you don't have a really hectic lifestyle. Alice is getting very good at 'telling me' now, and her nappies are often dry too! But I cannot imagine giving up nappies full stop!!!!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:34 pm

Cor Jenny that is really good that Alice does that, what a clever girl and clever you as well ofcourse.
I sit Gracie on the loo and we have a potty downstairs but it is all a bit of a game. I wonder if we pop her on the loo first thing if she would do anything??? I was going to buy a little girls loo seat in tkmax yesterday but they didn't have any left :roll: If I ask her is she has pooped she will sometimes either sniff or say uhh huh and she often "hides" when she is going!

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler