hf1

2 yr old check? Do they happen? ETA Yes its booked!

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

2 yr old check? Do they happen? ETA Yes its booked!

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:48 pm

At the back of my mind I have the feeling Benjamin should be having a HV developmental check around 24 months. A check would be handy as his speech is still a little behind, but I am going to be going on a course to learn more about how children develop early language which might help. He doesn't have a problem understanding and can quite easily follow a complex series of instructions. We have just introduced the makaton sign for "please" as people are wanting him to say please a lot now before giving him somethign :-?

Perhaps I will try and phone the HV's tomorrow and see if it is due to happen and if so when :roll:
Last edited by AnnetteandBen on Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: 2 yr old check? Do they happen?

Postby Louise » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:52 pm

We don't have one here anymore and I don't think they do them anymore anywhere. IIRC I got a letter before Ryan was 2 asking me to go to the drop-in clinic if I had any concerns but that was it. I've had nothing for Katie at all. :-?

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:55 pm

I thought they were meant to have a 2 yr check too.... Let me know what you find out, as I dont even know who my HV is or how to contact them. They've been once since I moved into my new house almost a year and half ago! :roll:
When is Bens bday, by the way?

Doh, just worked it out from your ticker lol! 3 weeks older than Dawnie

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:59 pm

I remember hearing that a mindie had there's done in a large group situation which was pretty useless as it didn't show much about the actual child, unless they punched every child out the way :roll:

Ben's bday is the 24th, but should have been the 23rd of Nov, so explains some of the speech perhaps, that and a grandmother who I believe was a selective mute for a few years as a toddler, me who didn't have great speech due to deafness and didn't talk during my A level English lessons for 6 weeks because I didn't want too :crossbaby:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:04 pm

AnnetteandBen wrote:I remember hearing that a mindie had there's done in a large group situation which was pretty useless as it didn't show much about the actual child, unless they punched every child out the way :roll:

:roll: It seems they don't routinely do a 2 year check anymore

2 year check

Health visitors usually send out a birthday cards when child reach their second birthdays, inviting you to make contact if you have any concerns about the following issues -
• toilet training
• toddler tantrums
• sleep
• eating/diet
• speech
• safety
• hearing

They may also feel it is appropriate to carry out a home visit to discuss any concerns with you.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:06 pm

Hmm so he should toilet train on his 2nd birthday, I don't think so :wink: Luckily I am generally happy with my knowledge and experience to know everything is OK, but :x why can't they do things properly anymore.

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:07 pm

24th of Nov? or 24th of Oct? lol.
Dawn is 15th of Nov, was meant to be the 26th :)

My avatar
2climbingboys
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby 2climbingboys » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:18 pm

Toby had one but it was nearly a year ago so they could have stopped them by now. It was fairly good imo. It was just him being assessed - kicking a ball, jumping, drawing, talking and asking if he ever had a sit on a potty etc. He was also given some more free books that he loves (Owl Babies etc). They weren't too bothered if they couldn't do all of those things (he couldn't jump! :giggle: ).

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:20 pm

I just want to talk about the tantrums and get the free books :hohoho: Dawn loved the first set we got and i still use the lovely cloth bag lol

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler