hf1

Any ideas on getting LO to sleep through again?update pg2

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Any ideas on getting LO to sleep through again?update pg2

Postby happytails » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:15 pm

Amber is 7 months now and from about 7-8weeks has slept through 10 hours in the night no problem but since reaching 5-6months old is waking nearly every night, sometimes once or twice and other times every half an hour.

If you pop her dummy in or put her music on she will go back to sleep but there is always the chance she will wake again 30mins later. The only thing that seems to be helping is feeding her 6oz in the night which i dont want to do as she hasnt had a bottle at night for ages!

We have tried more layers (if she was cold)
Less layers
teething powders/gels as she is teething at mo!
Calpol (again for the teeth)
More food in the day (i seem to be constantly feeding her!)
Different types of milk

We have resorted to putting her in our bed sometimes which definitely helps but me nor DP sleep half as well and i dont like doing it when im so so tired. I just dont know why she is waking in the night, She is in her cot in our room still as her room needs carpet and curtains yet.

Her feed routine is

1 1/2 weetabix with 6oz milk 9.30am
full pot of stage 2 food or equivalent of our food and a yogurt/jelly at about 12.30
6oz milk at 3pm
portion of food (what we are having usually) at 6.30pm
8oz bottle of good night milk at 7.30-8pm ish

Should i be giving her more milk or bigger portions of food? She does some BLW but alot of it is spoon fed. Ive just upped her weetabix from 1 to 1 1/2 and have given her another 6oz bottle feed before tea too. FC for a good night x
Last edited by happytails on Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Any ideas on getting LO to sleep through again?

Postby sim » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:23 pm

Sorry :hug: :hug: , have no advice but will be watching with interest as you could be describing Ewan, except we are not as far along with the BLW as he is a little younger!

My avatar
emmajayne33
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby emmajayne33 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:25 pm

:hug: :hug: I'm sorry I'm no help either, Isaac has only slept through once and doesn't seem to be to fussed about doing it again :roll: :)

Hope you have a good night tonight :)

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:50 pm

Looking at her diet, I think she needs more milk. Solid food doesn't have anything like the same calorie content as milk and until she is at least one between 75% and 90% of her calorie intake should come from milk. I would also be very wary of night time formula milks which contain cereal and are not recommended by HPs or the government. (They can cause digestive problems and keep babies awake at night.)

WRT sleeping, it's perfectly normal and natural for babies to wake at night and need milk until they are 18 months or older. The fact that she is happier with milk at night, suggests she is telling you she needs it. :)

7 months is a common time for sleep patterns to change though and there's nothing wrong with having her in your bed, especially if it helps you both get to sleep.

Listen to your baby. :wink:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:31 pm

As PP has said, it doesn't sound like she's getting enough milk I hope you work it out :hug: :hug:

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:57 am

nappynutter wrote:Looking at her diet, I think she needs more milk. Solid food doesn't have anything like the same calorie content as milk and until she is at least one between 75% and 90% of her calorie intake should come from milk. I would also be very wary of night time formula milks which contain cereal and are not recommended by HPs or the government. (They can cause digestive problems and keep babies awake at night.)

WRT sleeping, it's perfectly normal and natural for babies to wake at night and need milk until they are 18 months or older. The fact that she is happier with milk at night, suggests she is telling you she needs it. :)

7 months is a common time for sleep patterns to change though and there's nothing wrong with having her in your bed, especially if it helps you both get to sleep.

Listen to your baby. :wink:

Hi

Thanks for that. I think i will finish off the carton of night milk and just use what i was originally using. The HV told me at Ambers age if she is getting 17oz of milk or more then it is enough but im guessing it is not??

Sarah x

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:23 pm

I would trust Amber to know what she needs and ignore the health visitor. :wink:

It's better to offer milk first and let her take as much as she wants and then allow her to set the pace for how often and how much food she has on top of that. Solids really are only in addition to milk until she is one.

I don't believe in typical or average amounts because every baby is different but the general guideline is 32oz of milk per day from around 6 months (once you have started solids) and very gradually reducing to about 20/24oz by the time they are one and solids are fully established.

IME, HPs are often keen to replace milk with solids far to soon.

Hope this helps. :)

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:29 pm

nappynutter wrote:I would trust Amber to know what she needs and ignore the health visitor. :wink:

It's better to offer milk first and let her take as much as she wants and then allow her to set the pace for how often and how much food she has on top of that. Solids really are only in addition to milk until she is one.

I don't believe in typical or average amounts because every baby is different but the general guideline is 32oz of milk per day from around 6 months (once you have started solids) and very gradually reducing to about 20/24oz by the time they are one and solids are fully established.

IME, HPs are often keen to replace milk with solids far to soon.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the info, will definitely up her milk and see how we go! :hug:

My avatar
joeli
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby joeli » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:32 pm

nappynutter wrote:the general guideline is 32oz of milk per day from around 6 months (once you have started solids) and very gradually reducing to about 20/24oz by the time they are one and solids are fully established.

WSS. This is what everything I've read about weaning has said.

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler