hf1

weight gain

My avatar
joodel
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

weight gain

Postby joodel » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:14 am

she's my third...you'd think i'd be less worried about all of this by now, esp as dd2 was a slow n steady weight-gainer, but i'm worried i'm not producing enough milk for Jen. She's 6 weeks tomorrow and has put on 340grams in 17 days. I thought that was ok-ish, but apparently it's a bit below what they'd like to see :( .
Last night we had 2 and a half hours of unsettled crying like she was hungry and i had not much to give her. i even ended up offering her some cooled boiled water in desperiation. :oops: i know she may be having a growth spurt soon/now and then from next week my "help" is gone (have had MIL here 4 two weeks helping with school run, laundry, cooking and entertaining the other two) so am expecting to be more stressed which I know will put pressure on my milk supply. Am i being overly anxious about this? Don't want to supplement with formula-didn't with the other two. Sorry for vent... :oops:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: weight gain

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:28 am

I wouldn't worry about it unless she starts to loose weight, Gracie was and still is incredibly slow to gain weight, even now at 18 months she is only 21lbs. x :hug:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:07 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug: those early growth spurts are dreadful and it's not helped by sometimes not knowing if they are genuniely hungry or uncomfortable due to other reasons... :?

Make sure you're getting enough to eat yourself - eat plenty of high calorie foods (if you're worried about your weight don't be, you can sort it later when you've settled into a more regular bf relationship)...

TBH the few times I tried Grace with neocate (hypoallergenic formula as she's cows milk protein intolerant) when I thought she was hungry but I was low on supply she wouldn't touch the stuff and refused to drink it - I managed to express a few drops and gave her that and then she puked so she was just uncomfortable due to being overtired/reflux/wet nappy/overstimulated (the worst one)...

:hug: :hug:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:31 pm

joodel wrote:she's my third...you'd think i'd be less worried about all of this by now, esp as dd2 was a slow n steady weight-gainer, but i'm worried i'm not producing enough milk for Jen. She's 6 weeks tomorrow and has put on 340grams in 17 days. I thought that was ok-ish, but apparently it's a bit below what they'd like to see :( .
Last night we had 2 and a half hours of unsettled crying like she was hungry and i had not much to give her. i even ended up offering her some cooled boiled water in desperiation. :oops: i know she may be having a growth spurt soon/now and then from next week my "help" is gone (have had MIL here 4 two weeks helping with school run, laundry, cooking and entertaining the other two) so am expecting to be more stressed which I know will put pressure on my milk supply. Am :( i being overly anxious about this? Don't want to supplement with formula-didn't with the other two. Sorry for vent... :oops:

Ok firstly maths! 340 grams thats 12 ounces right? from looking in my red book here is our figures

Birth weight 8lbs
two weeks 7lbs5 oz
four weeks 8 lbs 11oz
five weeks 9lbs
six weeks 9lbs 1oz
seven weeks 9lbs 13 oz!!!!!

heres what happened went to HV she said oh no she has only put on one ounce this week :( so what did i do fed fed fed fed fed :giggle: she then shot up but this was a bit OTT as i just went a bit crazy feeding every hour or so. I calmed down after that and my milk supply was really good :wink:
Isobella was happy as she loves her booby milk :bf: and maybe that was her growth spurt

I also have another thing i did and still do is express in the morning when milk is plentiful then have a bit off milk ready in the fridge for thetimes when it feels like they need more

HTH xx

My avatar
fleur08
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby fleur08 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:24 pm

just a thought, is she starting to suffer with colic?
em's started at about 6 wks and would cry like she was hungry, but she wasnt.always around t.time, just when you need a break :roll:
also if she is going through a growth spurt keep offering boob, the more she takes the more your body will make - giving formula could actualy make your supply drop as she will be taking less from you.

shell probably surprise you soon & start piling the pounds on :hug:
good luck.

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:21 pm

Just another thought - cluster feeding at night is totally normal. Archie used to be pretty much latched on from about 7.30 - 10 every night, snacking on and off.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue May 18, 2010 7:13 am

fleur08 wrote:just a thought, is she starting to suffer with colic?
em's started at about 6 wks and would cry like she was hungry, but she wasnt.always around t.time, just when you need a break :roll:
also if she is going through a growth spurt keep offering boob, the more she takes the more your body will make - giving formula could actualy make your supply drop as she will be taking less from you.

shell probably surprise you soon & start piling the pounds on :hug:
good luck.

This is what I thought - Martha was the same from about 3 weeks. I used to offer expressed milk as my supply seemed low at that time but I'm not going to recommend you do that as I'm not sure it was the best approach - perhaps one of the BF counsellors on here can offer advice on that point.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue May 18, 2010 9:19 am

Ocean was weighed weekly for the first year or so of his life (Drs orders). Some weeks he'd gain next to nothing then he'd suddenly jump a huge amount. I think he gained 1lb in a fortnight once. Try not to worry too much, easier said than done I know. As long as the change is in the right direction :hug:

My avatar
toryuk
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby toryuk » Tue May 18, 2010 9:24 am

T had reflux and wasn't diagnosed for quite a few weeks, so his weight was 8lbs6.5, and then dropped to 7lbs9. He didn't put any weight on for the first three weeks! I worried a lot as he is my first and I was one of the few people I knew bfing, and the HV were no help in making me feel better. In fact they made me feel terrible for not self diagnosing him with reflux - yeah like I would know (I told them he was being sick quite a bit and was told that all babies are sick....)!!

Anyway, my worries were totally unfounded as he started putting weight on slowly but surely and now he is a right old chunk ;) So :hug: hun and don't worry about it xx

Return to Baby and Toddler