hf1

Baby Signing

My avatar
clothpenguin
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby clothpenguin » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:52 pm

I would have thought that BSL (as a language with its own distinct structure) would be more useful in the longer term for communication than Makaton per se. Interesting though that ASL should be used in UK nursery. I would have thought BSL with some Makaton would be the best combo but any way round its the ability to express yourself when you are preverbal which makes the difference.

I'd like to try a bit of baby signing, early access to language is phenomenally positive for both deaf and hearing children. I got in touch with our local baby signing class and they suggested that it might be better to wait until your baby can sit up sufficiently to participate with you being hands free, but its seems that children of all ages benefit. How much nicer not to have to get cross but to have some words to say with your hands. I hope we can try it out.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:30 pm

I do think it's totally STUPID that our nursery use ASL but there's nothing I can do about it as they're a big chain...

We do use some Makaton too - and Makaton is based on BSL so many of the signs are similar...

I would say that as soon as the baby can see your hands they can recognise signs even if they can't sign back - which means that once they start working out how to use their hands they start signing earlier...

My avatar
clothpenguin
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby clothpenguin » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:41 pm

It does strike me as a little strange, but then if the assumption is its for preverbal children anyway perhaps they feel it doesn't matter if its ASL as when they speak it will not so useful anyway. Do you mind me asking what the chain is? You don't have to say if you don't want to.

I thought I might get one of the basic books from the chelltune website so we could do a bit at home to start. Mr CP is not convinced so have some work to do!

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:43 pm

The thing is it's not entirely important which you use, IMO, it's like raising multilingual (verbally) children, it might take them a little longer to get the versions sorted out but in the end they do and it helps keep those neuro pathways open... And babies babble and toddlers develop their own words for things (our family words for things include slobmonster, dustbin dragon and bana) and that's no different than babies and young children having 'family signs' for stuff.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:48 pm

I'll put the chain in the private members bit :)

I agree - A friend has a toddler who uses some signs with one friend and different ones with her...

And it's interesting as Isabelle doesn't often sign with other people unless she knows they sign too...

My avatar
Chell
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Chell » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:24 pm

The different types of sign language and the 'brands' are listed here:

http://www.chelltune.co.uk/signing_learn_more.php

I think originally lots of nurseries used ASL as baby signing was first introduced by Joseph Garcia. He was an Amercian interpreter but researched the use of sign language with hearing babies after signing with his own hearing children. Earlier research was also conducted in America.

Research info here:
http://www.chelltune.co.uk/baby_signing.php

and http://www.chelltune.co.uk/baby-signing-questions.php - this link also mentions when is the best time to start.

IMO if you are new to signing then the sooner you start the better. Your baby won't sign until their hand-eye coordination develops but at least you have started early so are well into a rountine of using the signs.

My avatar
Emmy

Postby Emmy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:59 am

Hi

We have been going to Tiny Talk for a few months now and Emma loves it. I dont think she understands it yet as only 8 months. Now she can clap I am sure she will start signing soon. Lol I am hoping.
xx

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler