hf1

going off food

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

going off food

Postby dawnsmummy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:41 pm

is this 'normal'? ill make dawn meals and shell either refuse to eat them or will pick at it. eg, i made chicken, broccoli pasta bake for dinner and shes eaten 3or4pasta quils and a couple chunks of chicken. parents took us out for lunch yesterday n she had half a scampi, one pea and a couple of chips.
she devours her toast at breakfast and has warm milk for bed, but rest is yoghurts or picking at meals.
what can i do? :(

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: going off food

Postby Pinchette » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:44 pm

Yes , it is normal, even though it doesn't seem normal for us adults. Just keep offering and let her eat what she wants and look at what she consummes over a week rather than just a day and you might find out that she's getting what she needs.

Oh look at me who use to post similar threads everywhere and you used to stress sooo much about it. :giggle:

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:55 pm

shes just always been such a big eater. HV told me off when she was bout wk and half old as she was taking 7oz, plus water, every 2.5-3hrs :oops: apparently that was too much.

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
rachel
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rachel » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:03 pm

Sounds pretty normal to me too. Oli started out liking most things but has slowly become a really fussy eater and is much more of a grazer! Like PP said, think about how much they comsume over a week and remember that they won't starve themselves. There have been a few nights Oli has gone to bed with no dinner as he refused to eat it, but he didn't get offered anything else, and lasted through the night until breakfast. I was determined though he would eat what we do or else get nothing, might be a bit harsh but it works!
She'll let you know when she's hungry :D

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:14 pm

dawnsmummy wrote:shes just always been such a big eater. HV told me off when she was bout wk and half old as she was taking 7oz, plus water, every 2.5-3hrs :oops: apparently that was too much.

[ Mobile Post ] Image

Yes it's normal absolutely don't worry about it and try not to force her to eat as that might cause issues later...
It's amazing how little kids get by on some days and they'll eat like a sparrow for a few weeks and then when you're despairing they'll eat properly ever again they'll go and eat you out of house and home!! :giggle:

Just go with the flow :D

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:24 pm

Another one reassuring you that it is normal...at least it is in our house :)

Megan is a tottle toddler when it comes to food right now, one day she will devour something...the next time i make it she tells me its yucky :roll: Some days she eats loads others she wont eat a thing...

I just kep making sure that i provide her with a varied balanced diet even if it feels like a waste of time sometimes becuase eventually she will try something/or might do (i say in hope!!).

If she doesnt eat a meal then I take it away from her without a fuss, no trying to coax hr into one last mouthful or anythings...i just take it away and offer her fruit or yogurt for pudding...

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:44 pm

megansmummy wrote:If she doesnt eat a meal then I take it away from her without a fuss, no trying to coax hr into one last mouthful or anythings...i just take it away and offer her fruit or yogurt for pudding...

That's exactly what we do too. It is very normal in our house too. Nathan has just gone through a huge phase about not being fussed by food and he is just starting to eat rather than pick again.
As others have said she really won't starve herself and she will pick up when she is ready. Just remember to try not to 'coax' her too much as this can lead to problems later on.

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:56 pm

Thanks ladies :)
She hardly touched food all day until I made a mini pizza and we shared it as a late tea/little bit bigger than average snack. Then she devoured her milk as usual before bed. She HAS just learnt to say "no like it!" so I think she's maybe just making a point about her independance. Like I needed anymore shows of independance from her :roll: :giggle: Not even 2YO and she's acting like a teen already :giggle:
She's also a monkey for eating something at Nanas/Silly Nanas (Silly Nana is MY Nana lol), but then saying she doesnt like it at home. Broccoli is one. Making her eat veg is a nightmare. But I keep putting it on her plate in the hopes that she'll just eat some of it anyways lol

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:44 pm

dawnsmummy wrote:Thanks ladies :)
She hardly touched food all day until I made a mini pizza and we shared it as a late tea/little bit bigger than average snack. Then she devoured her milk as usual before bed. She HAS just learnt to say "no like it!" so I think she's maybe just making a point about her independance. Like I needed anymore shows of independance from her :roll: :giggle: Not even 2YO and she's acting like a teen already :giggle:
She's also a monkey for eating something at Nanas/Silly Nanas (Silly Nana is MY Nana lol), but then saying she doesnt like it at home. Broccoli is one. Making her eat veg is a nightmare. But I keep putting it on her plate in the hopes that she'll just eat some of it anyways lol

If she is enjoying choices give her simple choices about dinner of two options - so either fishfingers or quiche for example...

Next

Return to Baby and Toddler