My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: going off food

Postby dawnsmummy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:07 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:
dawnsmummy wrote:Thanks ladies :)
She hardly touched food all day until I made a mini pizza and we shared it as a late tea/little bit bigger than average snack. Then she devoured her milk as usual before bed. She HAS just learnt to say "no like it!" so I think she's maybe just making a point about her independance. Like I needed anymore shows of independance from her :roll: :giggle: Not even 2YO and she's acting like a teen already :giggle:
She's also a monkey for eating something at Nanas/Silly Nanas (Silly Nana is MY Nana lol), but then saying she doesnt like it at home. Broccoli is one. Making her eat veg is a nightmare. But I keep putting it on her plate in the hopes that she'll just eat some of it anyways lol

If she is enjoying choices give her simple choices about dinner of two options - so either fishfingers or quiche for example...

:giggle: I wouldn't need to. Fishfingers all the way for her lol. It's the veg I struggle with the most normally. Sigh. I'm sure she'll grow out of it. It's not like she's wasting away or anything :hohoho:

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:11 pm

Yes, we have the had the same sort of phases here too. As Zach has got older though its got less so.

I would take away the food and offer his usual afters and then maybe offer him some weetabix before bed or if he started asking for snacks. Zach always had his milek though, whatever he did with food in the day. He is still a big lover of milk.

Now I have times when i can't fill him up. 'I_want_something_else_to_eat' is on a constant repeat here sometimes!!!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:57 am

I can relate to what Jules says, some days all Charlotte does is ask for something to eat but like has been said she can live off air for days.

Don't know if it is because of growth spurts or just how active she is being but I have learned to just offer the food and if she eats it, great but if not then we don't make an issue of it.

I actually disagree with Steph, I never offer choices now - I tried to do that and it is a nightmare. I prefer to just serve up what we are eating and she either has that or nothing (although I will always offer dessert of yogurt or fruit or something as well). I find this works for us and like you say Stacey, keep serving the veg and hope she eats it.

There is alot of trying to assert independence going on. And Charlotte will go through weird phases of loving carrots then not liking them or devouring sweetcorn and then saying it's yuck :roll: I try to ignore it!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:08 am

Lo's tatse bubs develop all the time which is why people always say "such ans such was such a good eater as a baby", as babies they really don't taste much at all so as they develop their sense of taste then they become more fussy. Gracie is slightly more picky than she used to be, she used to love bread but doesn't really now but she loves her fruit and veg, quiches, scrambled eggs always go down well here, I keep fish fingers etc to once a week if I can, I don't make my own pizza :oops: so she doesn't get that as I only ever have shop bought ones!
Just keep offering her stuff, I laugh that sometimes I feed Grace like a dog, I leave bowls of snacks around the floor for her to graze at :giggle:

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:55 am

Iris definitely does this. Last night I did homemade veggie burgers and she turned her nose up without even trying them, despite having eaten them previously. It's so demoralising when you make something and your LO just decides they're not going to eat it. Iris is always just offered yoghurt and fruit, but never an alternative. She eats what we eat or nothing. She's just devoured a left-over burger along with scrambled eggs for lunch. :roll: Picky little miss. :giggle:

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:35 pm

Oh, one other thing, maybe doesn't apply to Dawn yet but Zach is a real grazer now. I have to leave his food out for ages, I never expect him to just sit down for 15 minutes and eat as it doesn't work. He will do it if we go out to a restaurant but at home he gets restless.

He eats a lot of salad type things (he loves salad :giggle: ) so cocktail sausages, cheese and cheese strings, strips of ham, carrot sticks, cucumber, tomatos, breadsticks, cheddar biscuits etc.

Previous

Return to Baby and Toddler